Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone Used the USB dongles for internet use ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2010, 10:30 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone Used the USB dongles for internet use ?

Got a T-Mobile 120 USB internet dongle for my mum,she is an internet virgin so doesnt need anything special etc so this was easiest,set it up,got the credit on it, sound

connect to internet via the connection software,bit like dial up software,connect to TMobile,sweet.

but no, most the time she gets page not displayed,yet has an IP address and i can remote to her machine over the internet, so its definately online yet i.e rarely works,without changing anything it will then work but then as you click a link the next page,yup,page not displayed

tried their help,no good,usuall bumph,make sure its online,pc uptodate etc.

i even got a load of extender leads and have the dongle near the window,darlin,so she gets 3 bars on the strength box

im not an internet guru but know my way around,cant find any settings that make any difference,wondering if some guru knows anything ????

any ideas ???

cheers
Old 22 February 2010, 09:55 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can remote desktop to the machine, then it sounds like the DNS settings? Although it seems unlikely if it is a new connection.

You can try using OpenDNS and see if that helps:

Old 22 February 2010, 06:02 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers, i can only try i guess !

So you mean on the tcp/ip settings,instead of using obtain dns automatically select the manual option and use those 2 i.p`s as preffered and alernate ??

cheers again
Old 22 February 2010, 07:30 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

well,i set the changes but on next connection it had reverted back to obtain dns and i.p automatically (dhc etc)

as i am making these changes remotely as she lives away etc,dunno if thats the fault but it says when i make the changes they wont be saved until next connection,but they are not,unless i have to make the settings without being connected (means a visit to her house) hmm ????

cheers