Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Updating jailbroken iphone

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2010, 07:46 PM
786omar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I jailbroke my 3gs iphone using blackra1n and it updated fine through itunes...
Old 25 January 2010, 08:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The key thing here is wether you want to be able to unlock the iPhone. If you simply update to 3.1.2 in the normal method, ie; via iTunes, then you will update the baseband to the latest version and this will prevent you from being able to unlock it. This is the primary reason for using Pwnage to jailbreak/unlock, as it preserves the baseband and thus the unlock.

As far as I'm aware, running blackra1n on a 3.1.2 device will jailbreak it. I know I did try pwanage for 3.1.2, and then decided to do a proper Apple restore on it and then used blackra1n to jailbreak and it's been fine. I don't want/need to unlock at present, so I was fine with a proper update and then a jailbreak.

When you say about preserving the setup with cydia, what exactly do you mean? Regardless of the method used to upgrade the phone it will be restored to a clean state, thus cydia will need to be reinstalled, and sources added to it, along with any other apps/settings that were provided. If you have any cracked apps you'll need to make sure you copy those off the iPhone before upgrading, unless you already have copies of them, and you'll need to get the phone into a state to accept them after the upgrade.
Old 25 January 2010, 09:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

As per PM, yes, just update via iTunes (or wait until later this week, there might be a newer OS appearing if Apple release their iPad tablet thing) and then run blackra1n to jailbreak it, and from within blackra1n install cydia.

One thing, if you happen to install openSSH, make sure you change the default password for the "mobile" user and the "root" user. the tutorial for the install will mention how to do this.