Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

File Sharing in OSX - Markus??

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2010, 12:03 PM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question File Sharing in OSX - Markus??

Hi Guy's back for a bit more support, what are the options for sharing an external disk plugged in to OSX to other MAC users. Tried it on my machines at home but I can't see the external drive on my other machines.

Ideally I want everyone on a network to be able to access and update an external drive.

I can see all my other folders but just don't get the external drive, It's set for sharing and i've tried mounting direct using afp...

Bit stumped now.
Old 25 January 2010, 12:21 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

sys prefs -> sharing -> file sharing
There is a list of shared folders in the middle. If your disk is not showing, click the '+' icon and choose the disk. It should then appear, then you can give users access by choosing who on the list on the right.
Old 25 January 2010, 01:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What OS version are you using on the machine you want to share the drive on? What OS are the machines you want to connect to the shared drive running? Can they access any other shares on the machine where the external drive is located?

What happens when you try to mount the external from another machine? I presume some error is displayed, if so, what error is it? When does it occur? How exactly are you connecting to the machine, is it by going to the Go menu and selecting "connect to server" then entering the IP address of the machine with the external?