Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Java Problems On Laptop

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2010, 05:26 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Java Problems On Laptop

I have a fairly new Laptop which I bought around this time last year. I use a website called ADVFN for my live share prices, and it runs Java. Now I've been using this for the last three quarters of a year and it has been fine, but now pages keep freezing and recovering whenever I try to navigate my way around ADVFN.

I know it's Java causing the problem because I have had various other problems with anything involving Java, but why has it gone like this all of a sudden when it was perfectly fine for ages?

I have 'CCleaner' on my computer which I run from time to time, and after scanning for errors and getting it to correct any issues it finds, it's still the same. Since I'm no computer expert I don't really have a clue what to do next.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old 09 January 2010, 06:59 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 09 January 2010, 07:21 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would uninstall Java and try again.

What might have happened is that you went to a website that needed a different version or a piece of software that you installed used a different version. It happens all the time with me as I run a couple of applications that refuse to work unless they have the exact release of java and just brute-force install it and (occasionally) mess up the path settings so that other applications start using the wrong version of Java.

Steve
Old 09 January 2010, 11:22 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

That sorted it. Thanks a lot Steve!

I seemed to have an older version installed, as when I downloaded the new one from the website it was version whatever update 17. The one I had was an earlier update. So looks like an older release has been installed on another site, as you said.

Cheers.