Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dell AC Adaptor On Its Way Out?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2009, 03:08 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Dell AC Adaptor On Its Way Out?

A while ago I broke the original adaptor that came with my Laptop, so I bought another one from Dell. After about 5 months or so of use, it no longer brightens the screen up when it's plugged in. Also, where it plugs into the laptop is obviously worn slightly, as the plug is looser than it was when I first got the laptop. I also get a message from time to time saying that I'm using the wrong adaptor etc etc, and that it won't run to its full potential.

So my question is: Is the AC adaptor itself getting tired, possibly not powering the laptop like it used to(hence the screen not brightening up... as no settings have been changed), or could it be that the bit it plugs into is worn and is not making as good a connection?

Was just wondering if anyone else has had their adaptors die and if it was a common thing, which would suggest that it is the adaptor at fault and not the connection point in the laptop.

Cheers

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 28 December 2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 28 December 2009, 03:15 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get that with my dell power lead, the screen darkening because the plug has slipped out by 1mm, wrong power source warning when I power up etc. etc. I think its just the connection and socket wearing out.

PS The screen staying dark indicates that the laptop is on batteries, try Fn + arrow up keys, it brightens the screen up, but try and refit the plug as it wont be charging.
Old 28 December 2009, 03:25 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mylesthegreat(not!)
I get that with my dell power lead, the screen darkening because the plug has slipped out by 1mm, wrong power source warning when I power up etc. etc. I think its just the connection and socket wearing out.

PS The screen staying dark indicates that the laptop is on batteries, try Fn + arrow up keys, it brightens the screen up, but try and refit the plug as it wont be charging.
Thanks. That does brighten the screen up, although there's obviously something wrong since it doesn't do it automatically when plugging it in. Looks like I'll have to take it to a computer shop to see if it's a faulty connection. It is definitely still charging, and refitting the plug doesn't make any difference.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 28 December 2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 28 December 2009, 03:37 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Ok, now it is dimming and brightening back up when removing and inserting the lead again. Lol. No idea why it would just have suddenly stopped doing it when I never dimmed it before?

Anyway that's me sorted now thanks to your advice so thanks again. Still need a new battery though... get about 20 mins out of this one because I've kept the battery plugged in while the AC lead is connected. Once I get a new one I'll take it out when it's plugged into the mains!
Old 28 December 2009, 03:39 PM
carpboy
Scooby Regular

Maplins sell the dell chargers
Old 28 December 2009, 03:43 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

You've got a connection problem by the sound of it, i've got the same problem, ended up with blue sparks coming out of it and scorching the settee. I've asked in PC Word about a replacement but they don't sell them. They gave me a website to look on to get one cheap, but they wrote back saying they don't do them either. I'll have to get a universal one i think. Mine's HP Pavilion btw.
Old 28 December 2009, 03:44 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carpboy
Maplins sell the dell chargers
Cool cheers. Will check there to see if they do the batteries too. Dell are rip off merchants.
Old 28 December 2009, 03:50 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Quasi Modo
You've got a connection problem by the sound of it, i've got the same problem, ended up with blue sparks coming out of it and scorching the settee. I've asked in PC Word about a replacement but they don't sell them. They gave me a website to look on to get one cheap, but they wrote back saying they don't do them either. I'll have to get a universal one i think. Mine's HP Pavilion btw.
Seems to be alright now as it's brightening up when plugged in, but there must be some sort of problem, otherwise this problem would never have happened. Will probably still take it to the computer shop to see what they think... they don't usually charge for a quick look anyway.

Blue sparks? F*ck that, don't fancy lighting myself up!
Old 28 December 2009, 04:01 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

Do they sell Compaq?

It saves having to have Christmas lights. I look like a smurf.

Last edited by Quasi Modo; 28 December 2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 28 December 2009, 04:22 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Do they sell Compaq?
Who, Maplin or my local computer shop? If the latter, I'm pretty sure they can get most stuff in. They are just a small shop but the guys love computers so offer proper advice and don't try to sell me crap I don't need! Maplin sell Compaq stuff btw.

It saves having to have Christmas lights. I look like a smurf.
Well if it'll save a bit of cash it can only be a good thing... I am Scottish after all!
Old 28 December 2009, 04:41 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with being Scottish mate, my Grandad came from Govan. thanks for the Maplin info btw. Incase i haven't already said it Merry christmas to you all too.
Old 28 December 2009, 05:08 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Cheers, Merry Christmas! He must have been a hardy old guy... that would be back in the days when Govan got its name. It's a different place now.
Old 28 December 2009, 07:21 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

Very true, you couldn't afford not to be, (the do or die mob)he ran away from home when he was just 12 to London. He joined the army at 12 as a drummer boy and moved up the ranks (the hard way) to SGT MJR. A good set of lungs if ya know what i mean. He went all over the world too.

I think i've got his walk.

I had to laugh a bit at one of my uncles, he wasn't the army type really, but got put in the Scots Guards during war time because of his name. He said they were all stark raving mad, bagpipes 24/7. If nothing else it kept them alert.

I've been to the Barras market more recently and had a look through Govan and the big library there as my sister was doing a family tree thing.
There's a big one there with a light green round top, do ya know it?

It's surprising how close the Rangers pubs are to the Celtic pubs too.
The last time i was there this little boy came along, can't have been more than about 9 years old, and this bus came past full of Celtic supporters singing and banging on the windows, as they went past this boy had a quick look around and calmly but whole heartedly lifted his right hand and showed them his middle finger, i couldn't help laughing and admiring him for his nerve. He must have been part gurder.

Good people.

Last edited by Quasi Modo; 28 December 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 28 December 2009, 10:16 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

We used this company when the wifes inspirion died...

The battery pack went first, then borked the charger, as it was trying to

charge a borked battery.

I think we got a new battery off the web, (half the cost of dell's idea of a battery price lol)

Dell Inspiron 1501 9 Cell Battery, Dell Inspiron Battery- Black Cat PC

Mart