Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 Vs Xbox 360

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2009, 02:07 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3 Vs Xbox 360

Santa Claus brought me a PS3 this year to add to my collection of video game systems. I've had an Xbox 360 for a couple of years and the only reason for the PS3 really is that actually Ms. Claus got it free via points on my (company) credit card.

Anyway, I thought I would just add my thoughts to the differences:

From a game perspective there doesn't seem to be much in it, the graphics seem to be similar. The controller is less chunky on the PS3 but just as responsive.

The interface on the PS3 is more 'grown up', although I actually prefer the slightly more in your face Xbox 360 colours and navigation etc...

They both work equally well reading movies and TV programs from my uPNP attached network drive, the PS3 has the iPlayer which is great but these days the Xbox has the Sky Player...

The Playstation store seems to be a little harder to navigate than the Xbox online, but once selected things seem to download in the background in the same way. There appears to be less choice in the Playstation store (less demo's etc..) but maybe I just can't find them yet.

I do not really buy DVD's, so the Blu-Ray player isn't a particular advantage.

Steve
Old 26 December 2009, 02:58 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i too have had an xbox for a few years now and i also recieved a ps3 from santa,i plugged it in last night and had to update it for about 2 hours ,finally finished i thought great ill have a quick blast put a game in then it said i had to download to harddrive another hour or what it seemed ,finally it downloaded so put the game on and it started fine then it said there is an update for it .

xbox 360 turn on put game in and play simples with the occasional 5 minute game update .
ps3 cannot even navigate around the main menu

think im defo an xbox fan now
Old 26 December 2009, 05:15 PM
bodgeit
BANNED

The big, X-box V Playstation debate.I've got neither i'm thinkin 'bout the X-box coz I'm not arsed about the blueray either.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:16 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

i've got both and have got to say the helicopter is really getting on my nerves, surely microsoft could of made it quieter. also i find if you get a game that is ps3 only the graphics are amazing but a game that's on both the resoloution gets worse. also why aren't rechargable packs standard with the xbox in the controllers. the one good thing with it is forza, amazing game and something that ps3 won't have until they finally decide to get there **** in gear and finish gt5.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:29 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by belliott69
i've got both and have got to say the helicopter is really getting on my nerves, surely microsoft could of made it quieter. also i find if you get a game that is ps3 only the graphics are amazing but a game that's on both the resoloution gets worse. also why aren't rechargable packs standard with the xbox in the controllers. the one good thing with it is forza, amazing game and something that ps3 won't have until they finally decide to get there **** in gear and finish gt5.
Ever thought of changing your username to Victor Meldrew!
Old 26 December 2009, 08:29 PM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

got a ps3 for christmas and dirt2, gta4,mw2,nfs prostreet, ferrari challenge from my lovely wife!!! the download/updates are a pain but i suppose it has to be done!
Old 26 December 2009, 08:36 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

i have both i enjoy both and as for the updates thats because the slim line was designed with the old layout thats why and i have an original ps3 60 gig and i never have a problem i just put the game ina nd it works and you dont have to pay to go online ona ps3
Old 26 December 2009, 08:50 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Ever thought of changing your username to Victor Meldrew!
its bad when i'm only 21 as well lol, just don't get me started on the bloody wii.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:52 PM
evobad
Scooby Regular

am looking to buy one of these so is the xbox as good as the ps3 as its ell of alot cheaper
Old 26 December 2009, 10:00 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evobad
am looking to buy one of these so is the xbox as good as the ps3 as its ell of alot cheaper
no the xbox is a hell of alot better ,but dont get an xbox as you will waste half your life playing the fantastic xbox live but if on one hand you dont like to play games but like to install games then wait for updates get a ps3 .

also on xbox to can chat to people who are not in your game ie i can have private chat to my mates/brothers and invite to games but not on ps3 .

like said above the ps3 is quieter but only because the xbox is always on and the ps3 is sat looking like an ornament
Old 27 December 2009, 12:46 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evobad
I would be delighted to have either console. With them side-by-side, unless I wanted the Blu-Ray player I would probably pick the Xbox.

Steve
Old 27 December 2009, 10:04 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Xbox for games, PS3 for Bluray and the Wii for a door stop.

(I have all 3)
Old 27 December 2009, 11:12 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The PS3 does have a REAL use..... I now use mine as a Media Center, which it seems to excel in at the moment!
Old 27 December 2009, 11:47 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Cant believe that RROD aint been mentioned yet ??

I have both and I play a lot of games and online too ( just ask the my other half she calls herself the xbox widow ) so its xbox all the way for me its just lots more user friendly

Although I do use the PS3, when its not playing bluerays its on the kitchen worktop so the neighbours think we have the latest George Foreman
Old 27 December 2009, 01:34 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Free online gaming with the PS3.
I have my PS3 wired in so the undateds don't take very long.
Xbox the wifi adaptor is extra £60 if you want wifi, it's built in on the PS3
Old 27 December 2009, 05:04 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
Free online gaming with the PS3. You get what you pay for
I have my PS3 wired in so the undateds don't take very long. But there are that many it still takes a lot of time
Xbox the wifi adaptor is extra £60 if you want wifi, it's built in on the PS3 Not everyone shops at Harrods
Old 28 December 2009, 10:42 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Updates aren't that big a deal and actually can be an advantage as with MW2 where the patches for glitches and cheats have been very quick to come out on PS3.

There is nothing between them on shared titles. PS3 only titles do seem to have better gfx. I'd say just get the one with the titles you like or if you play online the one most of your mates have too.

Simon
Old 28 December 2009, 11:53 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by DARB
Free online gaming with the PS3. You get what you pay for.
Which in my experience has been every bit as good as 360, so that would be a bargain then......

I have my PS3 wired in so the undateds don't take very long.But there are that many it still takes a lot of time
A bit of a pain, but not quite the pain people make it out to be. At least Sony can be bothered to add new features, MS seem to have taken the view that now they have your money you should stick with an old config.

Xbox the wifi adaptor is extra £60 if you want wifi, it's built in on the PS3.Not everyone shops at Harrods
No, but it's not like you can get it for £20! Considering how much wireless devices are, it's pretty bad that MS charge anywhere near £60 for it.

Having all three of the current crop, the PS3 is on all the time, 360 about once a month, Wii, well who knows, hardly ever.

The 360 is a good machine, but it's like Ryan Air, it seems cheap, but so many hidden extras it soon becomes just as expensive as the PS3!

PS3 250GB - £250
Wireless - Yes
Online service -Free
Total - £250

Xbox 360 Elite 250GB - £250
Wireless - £60
Online Service - £40 per annum
Total £370 +£40 per annum for Live.

Now I know all those are RRP and you can get for cheaper, but it illustrates the point, and before someone comes in with "oh but you can get the 60gb or the 120gb Elite" then you are not comparing like for like.

PS3 is a better media player, but I think if MS can get their act together and use their knowledge of W7, then that situation could easily be reversed.

Geezer
Old 28 December 2009, 12:03 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Xbox 360 Elite 250GB - £250
Wireless - £60
AA batterys or rechargable ones for the controller
another Xbox when the RROD strikes
Total £750+£40 per annum for Live.
amended
Old 28 December 2009, 01:06 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Which in my experience has been every bit as good as 360, so that would be a bargain then...... personally I find the xbox live much more user friendly and easier to navigate so I think less than a pound a week is a bargain for a better service

A bit of a pain, but not quite the pain people make it out to be. At least Sony can be bothered to add new features, MS seem to have taken the view that now they have your money you should stick with an old config.It IS a pain when you have to wait so long to play a game ( have you tried MGS this took ages to load up even Solid was bored and having a smoke lol ) the xbox does update but it takes a few seconds so not a problem

No, but it's not like you can get it for £20! Considering how much wireless devices are, it's pretty bad that MS charge anywhere near £60 for it.

Having all three of the current crop, the PS3 is on all the time, 360 about once a month, Wii, well who knows, hardly ever.Opposite for me, Xbox is on all the time, PS3 whenever a new Uncharted is released, Wii is for drunken nights with friends

The 360 is a good machine, but it's like Ryan Air, it seems cheap, but so many hidden extras it soon becomes just as expensive as the PS3!

PS3 250GB - £250
Wireless - Yes
Online service -Free
Total - £250

Xbox 360 Elite 250GB - £250 do you really need that much memory on a games machine (its nice to have the choice whether to pay for it or not)
Wireless - £60
Total £370 +£40 per annum for Live.250 + 60 + 40 = 350

Now I know all those are RRP and you can get for cheaper, but it illustrates the point, and before someone comes in with "oh but you can get the 60gb or the 120gb Elite" then you are not comparing like for like.As I have already said its a choice thing for me I dont need loads of memory for what is basically a games machine and I doubt others do, so why are we made to pay for something we dont want

PS3 is a better media player, but I think if MS can get their act together and use their knowledge of W7, then that situation could easily be reversed. We do agree on something ha ha

Geezer
Old 28 December 2009, 01:14 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by belliott69
amended
I got the RROD on a three and a half year old console, one phonecall to MS and it was collected and a FREE replacement was delivered in a week

PS3 also have the yellow light of death and if your console is over a year old its pay up or else

as for batteries PLUG N PLAY

there are a limited number of times the controller can be charged before it dies so its new controller time
Old 28 December 2009, 01:54 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Apperatus

1 ps3
1 xbox 360
1 ethernet cable used for both(you will see why)
6 hours of my life
electricity needed these days

Method

firstly connected up the ps3 wirelessly and turned on ,entered all my details to get it online and hey presto away ....untill greeted by an update ,not to worry i thought (3 hours elapses )all done ,then put game in ...to play you have to install game (1 hour wasted)game installed to hdd go to play ..... update for game (2 hours) all i want to do is play goodjob i didnt rent a game from blockbuster .
now you will notice the apperatus above ethernet cable for the ps3 (you will be thinking its wireless) well it is but if i didnt use the ethernet cable the ps4 would of been released before it had in installed 6 hours worth of crap.

first get xbox360 (did my nephews new elite) connect everything up online using ethernet cable as the ps3,update takes 10 minutes put same game in ....no installing to hdd but there is an update that takes 5minutes and my nephew up and running playing his game.

conclusion

ps3 good for watching youjizz on the browser on 42" tv
xbox good for playing games on and offline
Old 29 December 2009, 12:22 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

The other advantage of the PS3 is supposed to be the internet browser, but it keeps crashing!

Just watched a video on YouTube and then it just hung .....

Steve
Old 29 December 2009, 12:16 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

the browser is pretty slow .
when gt5 comes out then mine will get used i think ....if it comes out
Old 30 December 2009, 12:13 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If pro ps3 boys want to argue of which is best, how do you explain the **** poor anti-aliasing that the ps3 suffers with?! Advanced PS3 GPU over the 94yr old 360 GPU... my ****!
Old 30 December 2009, 01:06 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

I like my PS3, has everything i want, wireless, simple to use for the missus, looks nice etc etc

Games a are good, game updates are ok I guess, the firmware is the real kick in the teeth, sure they add things, fix bugs etc but if you just want to sling a game on and play online you cant until the new firmware has been installed if a new one is detected......... Farking ball ache!!

The PS3 just seems to have a little more class about it.

As for games on both platforms and the look difference, the PS3 is a massively under utilised system because Sony in their ultimate wisdom chose an architicture that is a pain to write for....... give it a little more time and the PS3 will be top of the boxes for graphics
Old 30 December 2009, 09:46 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

My recently returned xbox 360 (rrod repair) Dec 1th has now started to make loud

expansion noises as it heats up (xclamps failing again)???

Wonder if it will make the 6 months warranty lol..

I might take it apart to see if what they did to repair it..

Mart
Old 30 December 2009, 09:57 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth

As for games on both platforms and the look difference, the PS3 is a massively under utilised system because Sony in their ultimate wisdom chose an architicture that is a pain to write for....... give it a little more time and the PS3 will be top of the boxes for graphics
I read and hear this a lot about the PS3. How long has it been out now? It's a fair way into it's lifecycle already. I'd expect the next Xbox in 2 years time or so.
Old 30 December 2009, 10:31 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I read and hear this a lot about the PS3. How long has it been out now? It's a fair way into it's lifecycle already. I'd expect the next Xbox in 2 years time or so.
I read somewhere (Edge I think) that the current consoles will not be replaced until 2013 at the earliest. Instead each company will be releasing add-ons (like Microsoft's Natal) to increase the functionality.

Steve
Old 30 December 2009, 10:39 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

I have a PS3

Free to go on line and play your games
Plays bluray
It doesn't sound like a helicopter on take off
It doesn't keep breaking down / its reliable

Quick Reply: PS3 Vs Xbox 360