Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linksys WRT54GS Router + Acer Revo problems

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2009, 10:57 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linksys WRT54GS Router + Acer Revo problems

I've just got hold of an ACER Revo for the kids to use for net access (as part of there xmas present). Thought I better set it up and try it tonight (whilst they were in bed) and check it worked ok. Opened it up and stuck an extra 1Gb of RAM in there to start with to total 2Gb. Running the standard very basic Linux based O/S with just multimedia/web browsing options. If I plug into my network, all is fine. I can get online no problems. If I disconnect LAN cable and try wireless, I just cant even find my Linksys WRT54GS. I can see it with my laptop and the Mrs' Eee PC, but NOT this Revo. Tried refreshing many times, even sat my laptop next to the Revo, still cant see it. It picks up 2 of my neighbours wirless networks, just not mine. The confusing thing is (if it was signal strength) that with my laptop sitting next to the REVO, our wireless signal is much stronger than the neighbours it picks up! Don't know whether to try a firmware update on the linksys?? Any ideas?? Is the wireless/antenna just sh1te on the REVO>????

Last edited by Proby521; 12 December 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 14 December 2009, 04:28 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

And it's definitely broadcasting the SSID?
Old 14 December 2009, 08:24 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Yes Rich, definitely SSID broadcast is on. I have found further information that the REVO internal antenna is really terrible. Have ordered an external 5dBi antenna and F.l adapter lead and going to mod it slightly with hope of getting a signal.
Old 16 December 2009, 12:06 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Yeah but even a really bad antenna should be able to pick it up when sat right next to the router. But then you say it picks up your neighbours... Did you mean your laptop and not the Revo?

Can you make sure your other machines are not connected and see if it makes any difference.

Is the router broadcasting on only 801.11n or g and your laptop only does a/b?

The Revo definitely has wireless on does it?

Some PC laptops (and I'm a complete Mac user) have a function key to enable wireless, is there an led on the machine that should light up when wifi is enabled? Is it lit?

Can you take the laptop outside and see if it picks up any of your neighbours networks...