Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MS cut off 600,000 X-box Live Customers

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2009, 09:35 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MS cut off 600,000 X-box Live Customers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8354166.stm
For chipping their sets

Maybe old news haven't seen it mentioned in here

Fair play to them I say

Check this guys response out

I agree game prices are high, always have been, even since the Mega Drive days but you can usually get them for 30 quid or less on line. But thats the only part of his sorry argument I agree with,

BBC - Newsbeat - Xbox gamer 'gutted' after cut off

"My name's Raz, I'm 25 years old, I'm a massive Xbox gamer,I was pretty distraught at the time. It's like telling someone their dog's just died

Moron
Old 11 November 2009, 11:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough really, ok when it was PS2's but now its all linked together so they can do that.

I havent done mine, I can afford the games no problem but not the time to play them, besides there are loads of second hand and budget/platinum games out there for a few quid, basically if you cant afford the latest you cant have it, not if you ever want to go online.
Old 12 November 2009, 07:26 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Raz sounds a right dippy **** to be honest. I found it funny when he said he might not get another 360 out of spite for being banned! If you can't afford the games then don't get the xbox. It's like buying a car and stealing the petrol!

As games are generally reduced now on release day and you can part exchange old ones against them I think they are FAR more affordable than when I had a Mega Drive. I remember spending £50 in Dixons on Mortal Kombat! Now I generally only keep 5/6 games at any time, if i've not played it for a month it goes in against the next one.

I personally think it's good that Microsoft can get their ban hammer out and I don't feel sorry for anyone who gets affected by it. It was quite amusing hearing two of my students say how great MW2 was prior to release then the next day hearing them say they've been banned

I think now that people are getting fined for downloading MP3s it's only a matter of time before Microsoft start doing something similar with the 360.
Old 12 November 2009, 10:43 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Good I'm glad! Go MS!!
Old 12 November 2009, 11:28 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I used to dabble with chips on the previous generation of consoles; more for the underground scene than anything else, but wouldn't dream of doing it these days. I'm actually pretty embarrassed to have been involved.

This generation of consoles and games have so much to offer and offer so much value that they're worth every penny.

MS has let the ******* get away with far too much for far too long - so much so that they think it's the norm and their god given right to play pirated games. I hope the fool in that BBC article gets prosecuted

Ban them, ban them all
Old 12 November 2009, 12:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I find it a bit hard to believe that people on here are supporting Micro$haft, probably the richest company in the world against the little guy.

Maybe M$ could afford to bring game prices down?

Or is that too much to hope for?
Old 12 November 2009, 02:02 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

It's not really M$ though is it, its the game developers themselves themselves who bear the brunt of it - this is why gaming these days has stagnated into an endless cycle of follow-ups and franchises because no publisher wants to take the risk of an innovative game due to high development costs.
I used to play on pirated games when I was younger but these days I don't think I could be arsed to reverse engineer my Xbox360. It seems like too much faff for too little reward plus running the risk of not being able to use the console at all.
Old 12 November 2009, 02:45 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

The problem is that 'the little guy' takes the mickey and expects everything for free. They just don't think about how much a game costs to develop, licence, market, manufacture and ship. It's a sad state of affairs that MS's weak security let it get to this stage.

MS may set the RRP, but the majority of stores don't sell at that price. You only have to look at MW2 - £20 at Makro and £26 in supermarkets. Is that really too much to pay for the latest game?

If anything MS are doing the most to counteract escalating costs by pushing for digital delivery.
Old 12 November 2009, 09:05 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Maybe M$ could afford to bring game prices down?
Why would they do that?

The x360 has not long been a profitable business, no doubt helped by the masses of tramps who could not be arsed to pay.
If i buy a good game, lets say for £40 eg : Gears of War 2

I played through the campaign around 4-5 times, at about 7 hours a pop, i have probably put around 300 hours into the multiplayer now.

Thats over 350 hours entertainment for £40 ?
That is an utter bargain, the prices are fine, people nowadays think the world owes them everything, just because somebody else has it.

Playing new games is a luxury, not something you should expect just because somebody else does it.

I have no sympathy with any gonks called "Raz" and his "crew" if i have to go out, and deal with bellend punters at work all day, so i can buy a game to help me unwind, then i am prepared to do that, its my choice, why should some ramper not have to pay for them? its theft.

Until the bamps are put into a position where by the general public can rip them off, they will never understand.
Old 12 November 2009, 09:09 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
MS may set the RRP, but the majority of stores don't sell at that price. You only have to look at MW2 - £20 at Makro and £26 in supermarkets. Is that really too much to pay for the latest game?

I already have around 15 hours logged for Modern Warfare 2

£1.73 per current hours entertainment, and that figure will only drop further as i play it more!
Old 12 November 2009, 09:25 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

just thought i'd stick my oar in regarding pricing. Its not the software developers who'd prices make the games so expensive. Its all the middle men that it passes though. The last game I worked on was sold by the company I worked for, the developer at £10 per unit, to the middle men who added almost as much again, when they sold it to the shops, who add on about £6 for themselves. The middle men being the distributors. This is PC game prices, with some formats developers have to do submissions to the console makers, lets take nintendo as an example. They submit the game and nintendo have a set of quality control markers which have to be met before the game can be released. Back in the day when cartridges where king they also would charge for the manufacturer of the cartridges.

As for M$ kicking people off sbox live, lets face it M$ have been doing this with their operating systems users for years, M$ Genuine advantage anyone?
Old 12 November 2009, 11:48 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Mentioned on the other thread, did chip my original box but never crossed my mind with the 360.

This Raz, one of his arguments contained two things that grate, first he talks about 16yr old kids?, he's not 16 so why is this used as a reason to justify downloading games? He's 25 and says he works. Second, games being £50?, i've never paid that much for a 360 game, don't think i've even paid £40.

Just a complete Bellend, and i imagine he's a bad winner and one who quits when loosing.
Old 16 November 2009, 02:46 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

there wil be a mod out to get around this soon no doubt
Old 16 November 2009, 03:01 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

maybe!

until the next ban wave
Old 16 November 2009, 03:05 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

maybe, modders are never far behind though
Old 16 November 2009, 03:12 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

No but they always will be behind - a hack comes out, M$ get wind of it, then consoles get banned. Repeat ad nauseum.
It's quite a shrewd sales move for M$ acutually, banning thousands of consoles just before Xmas will send sales up as people with modded boxes buy new ones.
Old 16 November 2009, 10:46 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I suspect they have been playing the cat and mouse game for a long time regards the current wave, despite what some would think, they are not thick, the best way for them to impliment the banhammer is to cause total confusion regarding how they detected the mods in the first place.

Reading some of the hacking forums is almost comical, even on the Iextreme forum, i have just read about some kids, who think MS is constantly trying to scan the 360, because this ip address is constantly getting blocked by the firewall 65.55.158.80

Its to do with MS so they must be attackingz the internetz of the 360, yet these spazmos seam to have forgotten that they also have a bloody PC hooked up to the network as well LMFAO

1 simple google told me that it was probably to do with windows but these spazmos are now all talking about creating some super firewall to stop the boxes getting banned
Old 17 November 2009, 09:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forza 2, COD MW2, Ghostbusters, all about £35 each and I do not regret buying any of them, generally when I have had pirated games I dont play them, they dont work 100 percent and it makes you look a right pikey, things like COD MW2 are works of art and for £34 buy as has been mentioned a lot of entertainment.

I dont mind downloading MP3's of stuff I have bought on LP, tape and CD in the past, no qualms with that as I have already paid for it.

Sometimes the pirates seem to focus more on the piracy and the aquisition of something for nothing rather than the actual games.
Old 21 November 2009, 07:05 PM
Tenby
Scooby Regular

true say. no reason not to be gen games
Old 22 November 2009, 10:15 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Sometimes the pirates seem to focus more on the piracy and the aquisition of something for nothing rather than the actual games.
I have a few mates who do the pirate thing, you can usually tell just by looking at a persons gamercard.

200 or so different games played, the vast majority of them not even showing achievements for anything more then about 15 mins playtime.

Suppose its possible that somebody might just buy every single game and not like them, but i doubt it

Cheap copied games have no worth, so you tend to discard them for silly reasons, game pissing you off a little, **** it, it cost you nothing, just try another.
You pay good money for a game and it pisses you off, you tend to give it a chance and "try and get your moneys worth" from it.