Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop repair experts needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2009, 12:21 PM
mikemac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop repair experts needed!!

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my HP G6000 laptop. First the screen was flickering, got worse and worse until it flickered so much it was totally unusable. So after taking it apart I found the video data cable that goes from the base unit to the rear of the display to be a bit frayed. So I bought a replacement cable, replaced the frayed one, and it seemed to work, but then it started to smoke and the internal wires in the cable had melted! I checked the earth line within the cable and it was attached both ends so not sure why that happened. Anyway, bought another cable and this time it doesn’t melt but there is no picture at all on the screen. I can attach the laptop to an external display and it works fine. What I did notice is in the display properties the 2nd screen (the laptop screen) is greyed out, and trying to ‘enable monitor’ doesn’t seem to work. So it looks like the display is not being detected. This is the 2nd video cable I have tried and both gave no display. Do you think I have just been unlucky and had 2 duff cables (they are used from ebay), or could it be something else causing the problem? Im pretty sure its not the display itself, but something else between the display and the motherboard.

Any ideas would be gratefully received…..