Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MGS II whats all the fuss about

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2002, 07:06 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Firstly I am already wearing the flamesuit

Bought MGSII on Friday have now done 14 hours worth maily on Sat/Sun and i'm still waiting for my jaw to drop,I avoided the playable demo and I never played this let alone saw it on PS1 so u would have thought being an MGS virgin that i'd wet my pants when i clapped the old mincers on this game.

Well sorry after all the hype its a bit boring and what is the fecking point of completing a move then having to sit through what seems like a 10 minute movie (which you can skip, I've pressed every button, admitedly i havent checked the options) movie ends 5 seconds of game play and another sodding 10 minute movie, If I wanted to see a film I would have gone to the cinema!!, anyone know what the gamplay to movie ratio is on this and how many hours we are expected to endure the poxy movies!!!

Yes in its praise the graffix are nice but nothing i havent seen before and some of the puzzles are slightly tough but "The most anticipated game of the year" on what basis?? and why we are there lets bang it out at £44.95. Well next time anticipation wont be a problem.

Colin Mcrae III now thats ANTICIPATION

go on then you MSG freaks kick my butt

Dave
Old 12 March 2002, 10:15 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair crticism - a lot of people have levelled the same comments about the abundance of FMV footage.

Its not everyone's cup of tea - just mostly everyones, judging by the massive sales so far.

Personally I though it had some fantastic touches, but got a bit monotonous (only 18hours of play til I completed)

As for Colin Macrae III - I wouldn't wait with baited breath. Like you were with MGS2, I was massively disappointed with Colin Macrae2, so I'll be presently surprised if CM3 is fantastic.

-DV

You want a REAL game ? I'm playing my way through ShenMue2 at the moment on Dreamcast and its bloody fantastic. Even better than ShenMue1
Old 12 March 2002, 10:43 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cool

MGS 1 was the same - you either loved it or hated it.

Funki - I will give you £20 for it - take the horrible grubby little game off your hands

I did play the demo, and played it to death - absolutely superb.

DW
Old 13 March 2002, 04:00 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
DV

Is the entire game based on the oilrig?? or can I move on, if u completed in 18 hours i can be far behind so my guess is it is only on the rigs.

Dream Weaver If I complete ny the end of the week its yours for £30, should have gone to BlockBusters 1st me thinks.

Cheers guys

Dave
Old 13 March 2002, 04:17 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Question

well i'm not that far in I guess but depending on what you chose at the beginning depicts which character you play and where you start.

If you say you completed the first game you play as Snake but if you didn't youplay as Raiden.

So which is the best option to choose? I initially choose 'i did the first game so bring on the action' played as snake on the tanker for a while before getting pi$$ed off, went back and have now played for a while as raiden.
I must admit, I am not that impressed by it, certain bits of gameplay are very frustrating and the story is getting on my **** now.

Does anyone know that after playing Raiden, you die and then take over as snake or anything like that? Or is it that you can go back and play as snake and do the things he does whilst you were Raiden.
Old 13 March 2002, 04:41 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

The game is split into 2 scenarios.

1st Oil Tanker
2nd Oil Platform

Don't want to spoil it for people but, once you got into the "Big Shell" and work your way down, you'll be nearing the final phases of the game. Prepare for some nasty boss fights tho'

As fro Raiden - the producer of the game now realises he isn't a popular choice - I think he's a big of a *** to be honest.

Has anyone been pi$$ed on yet ?

-DV
Old 14 March 2002, 10:27 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

Talking

i would like to ask if your final question has a sexual reference to it??or is it something to do with the game??!!

the sun has got his hat on...hip hip hip hurray....

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2002, 06:59 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Munna - both really.

But specifically, its in the game. You get rained on by a guard.
Old 15 March 2002, 04:43 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've just got past the 'raining part' of the game, I thought I would be clever and hangover the edge and creep past, when you look up there is pi$$ all over the 'camera lense' urrggghhhh. Mess a right mess of poor old Raidens hair too - the girly git!

Am I near the end then?
Old 15 March 2002, 05:43 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

RichB, not yet - still a fair bit to do.
Old 18 March 2002, 10:07 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Oh well, done it now, not that impressed at the length of the game, you were right about the boss fights, pretty hard to begin with. I am sure it took longer to do MGS!

Did get very confusing towards the end, some very weird goings on!

Gone back now to do the tanker mission, anyone know if that scenario is as long?
Old 18 March 2002, 10:32 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Very dissapointed how short it is.... Not quite completed it yet but I know I'm fairly close. I can't wait to play it through again when I know what I'm doing.

FMV - Irritating but does build the story
Story - Sigh.. its pretty poor but it holds the game together.. I am so sick of the b!tch who's supposed to be Raidens gf :/ ffs. MGS 1 was soo much better.

AI - ?er.. just as dumb as 1 although the game would be impossible if they wern't.

Raiden - Omg why ? sigh snake was sooo much better
Game - Truely superb, Control system works well and weapons are great. To quote a well know film "It's the little differences" all those bonus easter eggs and things like dog tags etc that just make you (or just me) want to play it again.

Bosses - I thought they were harder than MGS1 but much less because it was harder to work out how to kill them (downside).

On the the whole I think MGS2 is technically better but the story in 1 was sooo much better.
Old 18 March 2002, 10:47 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Question

What happens if you collect all of the dog tags ?
Old 18 March 2002, 11:52 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Question

Are you guys playing on Normal level or Hard or Expert?
I'm crap so I'll stick to Jak and Daxter ...