Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

windows 7 at work?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2009, 10:54 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windows 7 at work?

Any people using windows 7 and the administrative tools? I am adding all our servers to the Remote desktops mmc but can't save it, have turned of UAC. Anyone using it and have saved changes?
Old 26 August 2009, 01:09 PM
ChrisB

Running W7 on my desktop now, but I'm using Remote Desktop Manager as it integrates RDP, SSH and loads of other management connections. It'll even pre-dial a VPN connection to save, ooo, three mouse clicks!

Standard version is free too

Remote Desktop Manager - Home
Old 26 August 2009, 01:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

chris, how stable is windows 7 now?

how does it compare with vista?
Old 26 August 2009, 01:18 PM
ChrisB

Vista - I pretty much avoided it thankfully. Have seen it on a few PCs but we steered our customers around it.

I've run the Release Candidate of W7 for a bit and that was fine. Did a re-install yesterday of the RTM version as I couldn't be bothered to follow some of the upgrade fudges that are floating around.

I'm quite liking it - it does make XP look a bit dated. I have played "where-have-MS-moved-option-X-to" a bit (ie hunting stuff round Control Panel). Performance is snappy (though it's obviously a fresh install) on my C2D E6400 + 4GB RAM - I'm running X64 as well.

As W7 seems to be getting a much better acceptence from the press, I think XP will be finally killed off soon.
Old 26 August 2009, 01:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

is it as campatible as xp?

i ask cos im due for a reinstall on my home machine and wondering if its time to upgrade from xp, as much as i love it. my gf's laptop has vista on it and i hate it with a passion
Old 26 August 2009, 01:31 PM
ChrisB

Not run into any compatibility issues so-far but I've not installed that much and it’s mainly well known apps like Office 2007, Visual Studio, Firefox etc

Oh, actually, the one problem is that the vSphere Client v4 won't run on x64 without a DLL fudge. Probably not an issue for a home user though
Old 26 August 2009, 03:13 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Oh, actually, the one problem is that the vSphere Client v4 won't run on x64 without a DLL fudge. Probably not an issue for a home user though
It doesn't work with x86 either though I'm sure I've heard that the next dot release should sort that.

As Chris has said there seems to be more acceptance in the business community than at any time with Vista. We have a few clients looking at an OS refresh to W7 in the not too distant.

Not had any real issues with W7 but had a few with IE8's incompatibility with some websites.
Old 26 August 2009, 05:00 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

all is working fine. just needed to save it elsewhere for some reason. loads of admin tools in the adminpak and all working together not like the vista/exchange2003 mess

no blue ring of vista death so far...
Old 26 August 2009, 07:39 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

yep, running Windows 7 at work and home here too

full and final release through the partner program, so no more RC

Works really well, not found any apps we use to be a problem either which is good

Vista was is, and will always be a complete bag of ****e, the Windows ME of the new age
Old 27 August 2009, 02:42 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Windows7 is amazing, been using it at home for donkeys and now have the RTM version installed, also have it installed on my PC at work.

Any compatibility issues are quickly resolved if you install the XP virtual machine (I have a few apps taht won't work in windows7) and it works like a charm, only downside is you have to register you XP VM into the Domain like a normal PC etc, but performance is very good and you don't have to do anything daft, just launch the application as you would normally from the windows 7 desktop or start menu and the VM fires automatillca and launches the app seemlessly...... Amazing really!

There is an issue I have found at work (along with many others) with windows7 coming from XP with a roaming profile and that is, MS have tried to step away from Roaming profiles in the conventional sense and it no longer works, have tried a million fudges but no joy. I have resorted to just having redirected folders in the group policy.

the performance of Windows7 is superb, uses less system resources than Vista, it's quicker than XP what more could you want