Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New Laptop

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2009, 02:04 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Laptop

Looking to get a laptop in the near future.

Max budget upto £500 though Ideally less.

Wants:

250Gb HD
DVD Re-Writer
3GB RAM (Want it to run fairly quickly)
Decent Processor

Been looking at Dell Vostros from Business section (I assume I can buy if I pretend to be a business?)

Any other thoughts, or a better place to get one of these?
Remember reading about buying cancelled orders through ebay - Any recommendations of good sellers?
Old 17 August 2009, 10:05 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

I think Dell still have an Outlet section where you might get it cheaper. I think items appeared on it on a Wednesday?

Buying via the business section should not be a problem, you just have to pay the VAT.

Personally, I wouldn't choose Dell. We use them at work and they are fine but compared to my old Thinkpad's (yes, I still have several of them working) they are pants in build quality. Not sure what the new Lenovo's are like though.
Old 18 August 2009, 09:57 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

After looking on line, I'm being swayed away from Dell's.

Been looking at Acer's and HP's as it looks like I can get a pretty decent spec for the same money.

Any recommendations on where to buy Ebuyer etc?

Cheers HHxx - Will have a look at a Lenovo.
Old 18 August 2009, 08:15 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Was there a reason why you need it spec'd that high? Well actually that spec is about the norm...

I like my laptops to be small and light. I use it in the car or they are guest laptop's for when I have visitors. Everything else is done on my desktop.

The only recent (personal) laptop purchase experience was when I bought my cousin a laptop as he was starting uni. I got him a Lenovo from Laptops Direct. Didn't think much about it, just looked in Pc Pro and picked one...

My laptops are made by IBM (before Lenovo), Compaq/HP, Fujitsu and some Dell's. (In order of preference) If I need to buy a new one for personal use, I would most likely look at Lenovo's first and find the equivalent to my X40.

Go to PC World just to look. Pick them up, twist them, use them and get the feel that the internet doesn't give (yet?).
Old 18 August 2009, 10:05 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HHxx
Was there a reason why you need it spec'd that high? Well actually that spec is about the norm...
Replacing a desktop as I don't have the space for one anymore - Study becoming a nursery.

Originally Posted by HHxx
Go to PC World just to look. Pick them up, twist them, use them and get the feel that the internet doesn't give
I'll have a wander in - Try and avoid the sales plebs though
Old 23 August 2009, 11:50 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Went to PC world and couldn't avoid the sales people who insisted they talk to me even when I say I'm just looking

Seen this on Dell.

Looks pretty good, haven't visited the site too much - Do they have these sort of deals often or should I seriously consider it now?
Old 24 August 2009, 10:30 AM
Rex93
Scooby Regular

I purchased my daughters laptop from the dell outlet store, very good deal for the system in question.

Had the smallest of scratches on the cover, no problem really. Went for a Vostro1710, it is a bit big for carrying around all the time but it is used for homework and all the other things kids do on computers, used mainly like a desktop.

We have 10days left on our warranty and the battery will no longer charge!!!! have just got finished with Dell help/support and have an engineer calling tomorrow to replace Battery, AC Adapter, DC in board and Motherboard to try and resolve the problem. If none of the above works they will replace the whole thing.

Dont be put off by the outlet store and keep popping back on to have a look, the systems change regularly.

Good luck in you hunt
Old 24 August 2009, 04:11 PM
Smurf2k
Scooby Regular

Acer Laptops | Buy Acer Aspire Laptops Acer Direct

I think you will get a lot more for you money with an Acer

Although Dell are pretty good for their support
Old 25 August 2009, 08:41 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smurf2k
Acer Laptops | Buy Acer Aspire Laptops Acer Direct

I think you will get a lot more for you money with an Acer

Although Dell are pretty good for their support
Looked at Acers - You do get quite a bit for your money, but I haven't found a similar spec to the one I'm looking at for the same money with 4 yrs warranty.

Definitely going to take plunge this evening - Via Quidco of course

Bought the dell in the end - Delivered a few days later :-)

Last edited by michaelro; 07 September 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 25 August 2009, 08:00 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Vostros are great machines for the money. Personally I love the size of the 1320 but the bigger screens might be better if it never leaves the house. I've bought vostros for many different projects/family members/work recently.