Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBox 360 3 Red ring fix

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2009, 01:00 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XBox 360 3 Red ring fix

The Xbox has the dreaded 3 Red rings and won't play.
Strange thing is it doesn't get used alot, once a week or so.

Has anyone bought the X clamp fixing kit and did it do the trick?
Old 28 July 2009, 01:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

dont you just send it back to microsoft and they sort it, 3 times and you get a new one
Old 28 July 2009, 01:51 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
dont you just send it back to microsoft and they sort it, 3 times and you get a new one
It's 19 months old and out of warranty.
Old 28 July 2009, 01:58 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

3 year warranty on the RROD
Old 28 July 2009, 02:12 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I've got a dead 360 that is well out of it's 3 year warranty so I'd be interested to know if there are any DIY fixes out for the RROD
Old 28 July 2009, 02:16 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

youtube it ,apparently worked with a couple of people from work all you need is a towel.

worth a try
Old 28 July 2009, 03:18 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I heard the towel trick is temporary at best.

Plus I can't see how a towel can fix a hardware problem. I thought it was an overheating problem or something??
Old 28 July 2009, 05:10 PM
wazo'swrx
Scooby Regular

Mine had the 3 red lights , i registered the xbox online and it said the 1yr warrenty was out but the 3yr one was still valid , i contacted microsoft and they said send it back to us in germany and they will repair / replace it but will take up to 3-4 weeks . UPS collected the parcel and away it went , 1 week later i got a email from xbox saying it was repaired and on the way back . So it only took just under 2 weeks to get the console back and it was not repaired they sent me a brand new one with a 1 month gold xbox live card in the box , i was over the moon so its worth a try contacting them , The online fix looks like a lot of hard work if your not electrcal minded .
Old 28 July 2009, 05:14 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LostUser
I heard the towel trick is temporary at best.

Plus I can't see how a towel can fix a hardware problem. I thought it was an overheating problem or something??
worth a try though get it wrapped up in a towel so it works then take it to gamestation and trade it in for a newer one arcade version should only cost about £60
Old 28 July 2009, 10:54 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wazo'swrx
Mine had the 3 red lights , i registered the xbox online and it said the 1yr warrenty was out but the 3yr one was still valid , i contacted microsoft and they said send it back to us in germany and they will repair / replace it but will take up to 3-4 weeks . UPS collected the parcel and away it went , 1 week later i got a email from xbox saying it was repaired and on the way back . So it only took just under 2 weeks to get the console back and it was not repaired they sent me a brand new one with a 1 month gold xbox live card in the box , i was over the moon so its worth a try contacting them , The online fix looks like a lot of hard work if your not electrcal minded .
I've registered it and it is covered for the RROD so it should be sorted soon.
Thanks.
Old 28 July 2009, 11:01 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LostUser
I've got a dead 360 that is well out of it's 3 year warranty so I'd be interested to know if there are any DIY fixes out for the RROD
The RROD appears after the internals overheat and cause some chip malfunctions on the mother board.

The DIY modification entails taking the box apart and removing something called a HEATSINK and then useing some longer screws and plastic washers to fix the heatsink back in position. This apparently creates a larger gap between vital components which stops overheating.

The additional screws/kit is available for £3 off Ebay.
There are loads of DIY clips on youtube.
Old 30 July 2009, 12:45 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It can't create a bigger gap..... the heat sink has to be tight on the chip surface.

All this does is ensure the clamping pressure on the chip face is better. Presumably the heat sinks are lifting with heat absorbtion.
Old 01 August 2009, 08:51 PM
Tracey
Scooby Regular

We had 2 of our xboxes go down with this a couple of months ago. I have just register them online, one is just about within the 3 yr warranty and they are sending a label to send off.

The other one is coming up 5 yrs old and they wanted my credit card details, so I thought I would just bin it. My son took it over to a mates house and they took it apart, fiddled around (not quite sure what they did) but it now works fine. So nothing lost so far
Old 03 August 2009, 01:33 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I have just got mine back from being repaired. Logged it online, took about 10 days, UPS pick it up.

Great service IMO, considering it goes off to Germany. Mine was about 18 months old.

I also looked at the DIY fix, it would seem you refit the heatsink with new thermal paste, then turn it on with the fans off so it over heats (this must re-set something on one of the chips??) then plug fans back in and it works. Can't see the point in this myself as not really a 'fix' for the origianl problem.
Old 03 August 2009, 01:55 PM
AdamMole
Scooby Regular

I fixed my 3 red rings last week. No towel tricks here. It is not difficult to fix at all. Hardest thing is getting into the bloody thing.

Took my about half an hour and has worked ever since.

I used this walk through diy method. Worked for me. I have the instructions at home what I used. Found them online after a lot of search but I cannot remember the website now. I will post the link on here later. Just a forum really but there is a full walk through on there.