Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Need an Xp cd

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2009, 04:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need an Xp cd

Went to re-install XP onto my old pc and the disk is playing up, tried it in another machine and it did the same, just gets to the "Setup is inspecting your comptuers configuration" and then hangs, the disk is badly scratched, anyone know where i can get one, Ebay seem to insist on buying one with a licence and I just want a disk to replace my damamged on and the same licence ?
Old 23 July 2009, 04:26 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Download a torrent. If you have a legitimate licence, it is actually a perfectly valid way of replacing your scratched CD.

Steve
Old 23 July 2009, 05:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go the torrent route then make sure you get a torrent that matches the version you are running. Most of the torrents will probably be XP Pro Corporate. The key bit (pun not intended) being that it does not require activation, so, if you were naughty, you could use one of the well known VLK (Volume Licence Keys) to install it, and that's the problem the VLK is different to a regular Pro key, and thus if you have a Corp CD, it won't accept a Pro key.
Same deal if you have Home and get a Pro version, the home key won't work.

If you have a look under My Computer, it should list the version you are running (not sure if it mentions corporate or not though, probably doesn't) so that'll give you an idea of what CD/torrent to go hunting for.

I've been in a similar situation with Office 2000, in that the CD was actually cracked and thus not useable and I needed to reinstall it using a legitimate license key, so I grabbed an appropriate torrent. I think it came with a key-gen, but I threw that away as it wasn't needed, and reinstalled.
Old 23 July 2009, 10:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers guys, looks like a torrent is the way to go, will get downloading.