Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPHONE 3GS - update, 1 week on

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2009, 01:03 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPHONE 3GS - update, 1 week on

1 week on, with my first iPHONE and I have to admit, I'm in love with the damn thing.

I'm no fan of Apple (I bloody hate iTunes) but I have to say this is the best phone I've ever owned by a LONG way. Beautiflly crafted in both hardware and software - the interface is intuitive (no need for instructions)

It does everything as advertised, extremely well. In the past, surfing the web for example was a real pain on mobile phones, but Apple have made the whole experience so elegant.

Effortlessly sniffs out available Wi-Fi, or switches to o2 / 3G when needed.

I've been away for a break this last week in Padstow and I've not had to get my laptop out once for email or web.

As for it's lack of multi-tasking - I think that's been exaggerated as it DOES multi-task - it'll happily get on with pulling up several web pages, whilst I've switched to email for example.

Battery life is acceptable - I was able to walk around all day with it, texting / emailing / surfing and by the end of the night, the battery would be nearing the empty mark.

I never had the first iPhone or iPhone 3G, so can't compare with those, but suffice to say, I absolutely love my 3GS.

Last edited by spectrum48k; 26 June 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 26 June 2009, 01:12 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Same here mate

I can't see why I would want to have any other phone / device.

Old 26 June 2009, 02:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Glad you like it I'm rather pleased with my 3GS too. I agree that iTunes on the PC is rather horrific, which is a shame as if it was as stable as the Mac version then people would be happier.

Data usage so far this week seems to be about 500kb sent and 8.4MB received, which isn't bad considering I've been downloading apps on the phone, browsing graphic intensive sites and viewing youtube videos.

Battery life seems pretty good too, and the in-car charger I had for my iPod works with the iPhone, so that's nice. The dock I got with my 4th Gen iPod does not though, gives me a message about being incompatible, I'm guessing it's because it might not be fully USB2 compatible?
Old 26 June 2009, 02:29 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

The iPhone can no longer be charged using the 12V firewire (pins 19 and 20 on the connector) which is what most devices use to charge it.
Old 26 June 2009, 03:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I spoke to a friend and he said the warning from the phone is because the dock controller isn't iPhone friendly. As the iPhone is a radio device, accessories need to meet various standards, hence the "friendly" bit, and obviously my dock was around way before the iPhone. Interference is the main thing they worry about. Dismissing the alert the iPhone displays allows it to be used and I've not had any other problems yet either.
Old 26 June 2009, 03:10 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Doesn't charge though

At least I don't think mine does, I'll check in the car on my way home

Old 26 June 2009, 03:38 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

You can buy adaptors for Firewire connectors in the Apple store.

I hope Snazy and Mart are reading this thread.
Old 26 June 2009, 03:56 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I've had mine since Monday. Up until I got it I was pretty much anti-Apple but this phone has completely won me round. Everything on it just 'works' and everything is so seemless.
I've been quite surprised by the battery usage, and that's coming from owning a N95 but when I think of what I've been using on the iPhone and how much I've been playing with it then it's not too bad considering. I've got bluetooth and wifi running, plus it's set to fetch my mail every 30 mins (unless someone can tell me how to set Googlemail to push it to the iphone?! ).

The only niggle I've had with it is loading ringtones and complete *** it is to get custom text sounds!. However I can live with that cause it's such a nice piece of kit!

I won't be switching from PC to Mac though.....
Old 26 June 2009, 04:50 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've come from an N95 as well, and the battery life is certainly worse on the iPhone. Having said that, I've been playing a lot of games on it, the wifi is turned on, and it's checking my email every 30 minutes. Anyway I suppose it does use the battery with a lot more style

Really annoyed about the lack of being able to play flash video though
Old 26 June 2009, 08:53 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

an interesting article benchmarking the new iPHONE 3GS
AnandTech: iPhone 3GS Performance: A Significant Performance Bump
Old 26 June 2009, 09:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic, but isn't the point of 'being away', especially in a lovely place like Padstein, supposed to get you away from the daily stuff like texting, emailing etc I was away down there recently and my phone got switched on for an hour each evening whilst I cooked dinner for family to get in touch. Anything w*rk related went to the answerphone which informed them I was out of the office

Would love an iPhone, just wouldn't love paying for it. £10 top-up does me every 3-4 months these days on a hand-me-down phone
Old 28 June 2009, 01:22 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Slightly off topic, but isn't the point of 'being away', especially in a lovely place like Padstein, supposed to get you away from the daily stuff like texting, emailing etc I was away down there recently and my phone got switched on for an hour each evening whilst I cooked dinner for family to get in touch. Anything w*rk related went to the answerphone which informed them I was out of the office

Would love an iPhone, just wouldn't love paying for it. £10 top-up does me every 3-4 months these days on a hand-me-down phone
I know what you mean - I'd be able to switch off if was still an employee at a company, (I used to work in mech engineering) BUT when I realised I could make a lot more money being self-employed, I put myself through an IT honours degree and started a small business.

The downside is when I'm on holiday, I STILL have to answer the odd call or send the odd email. But that's a small price to pay for how much I love my life now
Old 28 June 2009, 04:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean too, I'm self employed, AND employed I make sure my customers are well sorted before I leave though
Old 28 June 2009, 05:29 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean too, I'm self employed, AND employed I make sure my customers are well sorted before I leave though
I offer h/w support for several local businesses, so it's impossible to avoid the odd call if you know what I mean. I'm winding that side of the business down and concentrating more on software development these days, which is less hassle for me. - I make sure they have a comprehensive help system they can call on!
Old 28 June 2009, 06:00 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

sound just like me im the same ,i'd love an iphone been thinking about one for a couple of months but i prefer a top up every now and again on my

how much are these new iphone 3gs's think i'd like it for surfing the web while working