Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Recording my guitar amp sound

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2009, 11:21 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recording my guitar amp sound

I was reading on the 'tinternet that its possible to record the sound from a guitar amp by running a lead from the amps headphone socket to a 3.5 mm jack into the line in socket on a pc sound card.

I tried this at the weekend but could not get any sound recorded when I used sound recorder etc. Anyone tried this? what sound card would work well doing this ?

I don't want to spend a lot on a full set up but just liked the idea of being able to mess about and record some stuff on my PC.
Old 24 June 2009, 10:55 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any old sound card should be ok.

Have you checked that 'line in' isn't muted or at level 0? Right click speaker icon and select open volume control, then options, properties, and change mixer device to 'audio input' or something similar.

Even if you do manage to get it working, it will probably sound awful.

You really need to invest in something like a Line 6 Pod 2.0 which is designed for recording your guitar straight into your computer. You get loads of effects and it sounds awesome without all the hassle of amps, speakers and microphones.

You can play along to your favourite tracks and it sounds like your really there with them!

Don't bother with sound recorder - get Audacity (free multi-track sound recording software).

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Greeley; 24 June 2009 at 10:56 PM.