Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Backing up a drive

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2009, 08:47 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backing up a drive

I have a few PC's for different tasks and want to backup an image of each of their c: drives so in the event of something catastrophic happening I can restore to a point on say a brand new hard drive. Whats the best software to buy to do this job..... Norton Ghost ? Anyone use something else ?
Old 23 May 2009, 09:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ghost will certainly do what you want, you can image a drive and restore that image back. The problem is that you will have lost everything that was done between making the image and when you want to restore. If that's not important to you then fine, otherwise you may want to consider backup software, for example EMC Retrospect, which will allow you to make incremental and full backups.

I have used retrospect to backup desktop PC's and Macs, along with Windows servers to a backup server. I had it set to make a full (recycle) backup every month, and on a daily basis it would make incremental backups. Thus I'd be able to restore a machine back to, more or less, it's current state, losing only the days work.