Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Apple thingys??
Yes, a lot
78.95%
No, not really
21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

How happy are you with...........

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2009, 05:14 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How happy are you with...........

................your Apple computers and gadgets???
Old 23 May 2009, 05:34 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I only have an IPod Classic 160Gb, but it's great, can't fault it.
Old 23 May 2009, 07:11 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a fixed poll .. I'm nor very happy or very unhappy .. where is the in between ?
Old 23 May 2009, 08:16 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

I find that most pcs tend to be a bit more unstable than the Apple platforms......

They are a bit expensive, but then most pcs are not cheap either.
Old 23 May 2009, 08:22 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

My 10yo laptop is still going strong, only needing the (LG) internal DVD drive replacing (£23) although it is now painfully slow and under-spec'd for current uses.

We recently replaced our ten G4's at w*rk after 9 years of 24/7, 363 days a year abuse. Again, only the internal (Pioneer) DVD drives gave any trouble in all that time. The new Mac Pro's are superb.

The office plebs have just received a consignment of new Dell thingy's to replace the 18 month old ones which are mostly faulty No doubt it will be the same story in another 18 months, meaning they use 6x more computers than us and only use them for mundane office tasks for 7 hours, 5 days a week You could argue that the Macs are twice the price, but factor in longevity and they are actually cheaper. The Macs handle thousands of pages of hi-res magazine documents, faultlessly and brilliantly, and look so much cooler too
Old 23 May 2009, 09:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I think my reply and vote might be a little biased

I have to say I'm very happy with my various Apple devices, be it computers (G3 iMacs, G4 Towers, Intel iMac, G4 iBook), Apple TV (not that I use it that much, it's in it's box at present) or my iPod.

I've had to replace the hard drive on my 4th Gen iPod as the original died, but it allowed me to increase capacity to 60GB. The battery has died twice, but replacements were cheap and easy to install.

Other niggles I currently have are a dead G4 tower whose PSU has died and I don't want to purchase a new PSU as it's not exactly cheap and alas it does not take a standard PC PSU which I could have picked up cheaply or culled from one of the PC's I'm not using. The only other problem I've got is the dead battery on the iBook, again, I don't want to spend silly money replacing at the moment.

Yes, the kit does cost more and yes it is mainly an aesthetic thing, you can build a PC of similar or greater spec for the same price as an Apple product and it will probably perform just as well. If you run *nix on it then you won't have the "joy" of using windows, and you could hack it to run OS X if you really wanted, but why bother as it's just a pretty *nix variant.

I know that people loathe iTunes and iPods, mainly because iTunes is crap on the PC, I'll freely admit it's horrible, but then Apple mainly codes for it's own OS, and so to be honest, I expect their PC software not to be as completely polished as their Mac OS software, some would say it is this way to persuade people to get a Mac as then you'll use OS X and I've had very, very few problems with iTunes on the Mac.

I also understand that people don't like the fact they cannot simply drag and drop music onto the iPod and you have to use iTunes to do this, and with iTunes being a little crappy, it can be annoying as there isn't a way around getting music on there without using third party software, which you should not have to do.

Unlike some mac zealots, I don't loathe PC's, I'd be silly to do so. I run XP on my iMac when I want to do some gaming, or something it is only possible to do on XP, for example, using MapSource for my Garmin GPS. There simply isn't an OS X version available.

Trending Topics

Old 23 May 2009, 10:12 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

I'm going to make the switch.
Fed up with pcs, building them, all the wires and all the crap that goes with it.

Apple: simple, "pretty", efficient, durable.
From what I have seen running applications on them is faster, easier and cheaper if not free!

Any crap Excel or whatever costs like a trillion quid, and.......they suck!
Old 23 May 2009, 10:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You usually find Mac haters are long time PC users who've only ever had a 2 minute fiddle with a Mac in PC World. A bit like test driving a Ferrari around a car park and then moaning that the clutch and steering were heavy, visibility is poor and it's impractical Most Mac users use PC's to some degree also, but they choose Mac based on experience. It's very rare to find a long time Mac user whom switches to PC, but many PC types are now enjoying Macs.
Old 23 May 2009, 10:42 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

No, I bought mine because it did what I wanted, quickly, without fuss, reliably and easily. Simple things like a PC mate lending me a digital camera. He told me it took him 2 hours to install the drivers and associated applications. I plugged the same camera into the USB port and iPhoto immediately launched and asked if I wanted to download some or all the pics, even displaying a little icon of the exact camera connected. No discs or installing necessary. The same when I needed to add a Bluetooth dongle. Opened the box, took out the dongle and threw all the instruction and disc away. When I plugged it in a Bluetooth icon appeared and a single click opened a menu for everything you may choose to do with it. All on a 10yo machine with a paltry 400mhz processor, 320mb RAM and a 60gb HDD. Since OS X replaced OS9 I haven't had a single crash either. Not one forced restart in 7 years. There are a couple of tasks I could use a PC for, but I just use one at w*rk occasionally so no need to buy one. I find using PC's like pulling teeth, operating the keyboard like it's diseased. Each to their own I guess.
Old 23 May 2009, 11:52 PM
p060064h
Scooby Regular

Apple are way ahead IMO im very happy.

Does any1 know of any good conversion software so i can convert the stuff i download to mp4 ? i would prefer not to pay for it but if i must i must.

Cheers.
Old 24 May 2009, 12:00 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Search - VersionTracker

iSquint 1.5.2 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker
Old 24 May 2009, 01:33 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

The iPhone and Ipod Touch are great.

I'm not so fond of Apple computers, but I just want to 'fiddle' and the Mac makes it quite difficult to do that. Not that I DO actually do much more than load up a browser, write the occasional document, but I want to be able to should I wish.

My wife loves the Mac.

Steve
Old 24 May 2009, 06:00 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

PC's. Buy cheap, buy twice.
Old 24 May 2009, 12:11 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

I am a long time Mac user but switched to learn about pc's as for me, that was where the money was...

I have both.
Old 24 May 2009, 12:55 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Most problems with PC's occur because the machine isn't built well or has crap components.

That's why Macs are so solid/reliable - they build/spec all their own stuff to One standard so control it 100%. It's also why they're so expensive.

The other main problem with PC's is user error.

If you have a decent machine and know how to use it properly you will not have problems.
I agree, BUT I think there are too many things that can and do go wrong because of poor design conception/production.
Winblows is the obvious candidate for a piece of **** OS....................
Old 24 May 2009, 02:13 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I have just a iphone but would love a imac but funds not available for one yet. I'm slowly turning into a Mac fanboy lol
Old 24 May 2009, 10:56 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

This was some time ago, before Vista and XP. But even then OS X had all the things it took several years to get in subsequent offerings from Microsoft. Looking at the report on BBC's Click about Windoze 7, the first comment the presenter made was 'Ooh, like a Mac' And they are usually Mac-haters.

On a side note, what is it with the naming of Windoze OS's. 1, 2, and 3 followed as you'd expect, then a jump to '95 (obviously changing the naming culture to incept dates) and NT followed by '98. Then another change to ME (yeah, I know, an acronym) and XP (? acronym). Then all change again for a sexy name, Vista. Now they're opting for '7' At least Mac ran 1-9, then X (roman '10'). I know we have some silly cat names too
Old 24 May 2009, 11:03 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Or 'Disease Ridden', 'Blue-Screener', 'Mega-Incompatible' or 'Crash Bandicomp'.
Old 24 May 2009, 11:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Clear as mud According to that, Windoze 7 is version 6.1.1

Old 25 May 2009, 08:03 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Got 5 Macs (from Imacs up to MacPros and a MacBook Pros) and 3 Ipods.

All work perfectly - home network that my youngest daughter has been able to use since the age of 4. Haven't needed to do any maintenance since I installed it 3 years ago.

It just works. No crashes. Nothing.

Oh, I've got a PC, somewhere, think it's being used as a door wedge

And for the record, I use Macs because of my work - NOTHING comes close to it in terms of reliability and software. Expensive? yes. But buy in right, and buy once.

Caveat - PCs are good at what they do. I'd have a decent one in a shot for games, but I've got an Xbox for that.

You buy a computer to suit your lifestyle, not to keep up with the Jones'. Horses for courses really

Dan

Quick Reply: How happy are you with...........