Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can anyone sort my XP Network??

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2002, 10:59 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed XP pro on my two pc`s. They are networked up using two 3com NICs` and a 4port 3com hub.

Now the network worked fine under 98 s.e. using NETBUI but i cannot for the life of me get it to work with XP, even using the wizards!

If i ask pc no.1 to access the net through pc no.2 then it works fine.But what i need is the same set up as before, where each p.c. has its own connection to the net(using their own individual isdn cards), and are just linked between each other with the network, so that i can download with one isdn line and browse with the other line, then swap files over afterwards.

Can anyone give me step by step guide to manually setting up the XP network, i`ve tried various search engines but have`nt found anything.

This is driving me nuts!!!

Rich
Old 03 March 2002, 12:34 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

O.K., just tried the wizard again, and when i try to view the network , i get the message "Home is not acessible, you might not have permission......"

Anyone??

Rich.
Old 03 March 2002, 09:12 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

If you just have two network cards, you could try giving each PC a unique TCP/IP address in the same range and see what happens.

Go to "My Network places" on the desktop, click the right hand mouse button and select properties. You should see your network card. Click on the right hand mouse button, select properties then TCP/IP, then properties and choose on one PC: 192.168.123.1 and on the other 192.168.123.2.

Go to one PC, go to a command line and check you can ping the other (i.e type "ping 192.168.123.1"). If so, your network SHOULD work!

Steve.
Old 03 March 2002, 09:32 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rich

Its a bit difficult to know where you've got with this. Windows XP doesn't (by default) use Netbeui so your network is almost certainly TCP/IP. What I think has happened is that the 1st machine has been set up with Internet Device Sharing (or what ever it's called in XP) switched on and when the 2nd device is configured its automatically gone to the 1st PC for its internet connection. What you need to do is convince the 2nd machine to use its own ISDN connection, there should be a help file on this.

Do you have XP Professional or XP Home ?

Jeff
Old 04 March 2002, 12:19 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Cool

XP Professional.Managed to get it sorted at last!

Not too sure how mind, i rang my m8 up who talked me through it, we tried a few things and it wouldnt work, the only thing i haddnt done was to turn file sharing on on C drive.I`d turned all the other drives on, but left C as theres only the OS on there.

Anyway, turned that on, tried the wizard again (like i had a dozen times before) and this time it prompted me to restart! ....turns it it was working at last!

Thanks for the advice guys anyway!

Rich.