Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPod nano

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2009, 03:09 PM
Will
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod nano

Hi all.

How do i get the music i all ready have on my computer on to my iPod nano

Would i have to download iTunes

Thanks in advance
Old 13 May 2009, 03:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The first thing you'd want to do is make sure the music is in a format that the Nano will play.

The current generation Nano supports the following for Audio:

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

I would guess your music is probably going to be in mp3 or WAV format so you should be good on that point.

The second part is getting the music onto the iPod. The normal method of doing this is indeed to download and install iTunes and use it. You cannot simply copy music over to the iPod in Windows Explorer.
iTunes is free, so give it a shot. There are other, third-party applications out there that will allow you to copy music over to the iPod, but I'd stick with iTunes unless you have problems with it.
Old 13 May 2009, 06:39 PM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by Markus
The first thing you'd want to do is make sure the music is in a format that the Nano will play.

The current generation Nano supports the following for Audio:

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz

Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

I would guess your music is probably going to be in mp3 or WAV format so you should be good on that point.

The second part is getting the music onto the iPod. The normal method of doing this is indeed to download and install iTunes and use it. You cannot simply copy music over to the iPod in Windows Explorer.
iTunes is free, so give it a shot. There are other, third-party applications out there that will allow you to copy music over to the iPod, but I'd stick with iTunes unless you have problems with it.
Markus, thanks for the reply mate appreciate it

I have downloaded itunes but for the life of me cant get the music from itunes to my ipod nano

What am i doing wrong and whats the method

For example i have:

store:

Devices:

Shared:...

Now when i click shared, which is where my music is, i get a massive list of tracks, how do i lob them on to my ipod nano?

Cheers

Last edited by Will; 13 May 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 13 May 2009, 07:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Your music is under Shared? Is it not under Music? Where exactly do you have the music?

If it's just under shared, that will explain why you cannot copy it, as iTunes won't allow you to copy music from the shared list to your iPod. The reason being is that the shared listing usually comes from another shared music source, for example, someone else has configured their iTunes to share their music library. Thus it could be someone else's library and you would then be copying their music, which you might not have a copy of, and therefore you could be seen to be "stealing" music and Apple want's to shy away from that.
It's a similar reason as to why you cannot copy music FROM your iPod TO your computer, as you could be plugging in a friends iPod and grabbing their music from it.

So, basically, you'd need the songs to appear under the "Music" item, and when they do, you should be able to simply drag and drop them onto the iPod that appears under the Devices section.
Old 13 May 2009, 08:39 PM
Will
BANNED

Markus i thank you sir