Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Surfing the web - without a connection?

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2009, 08:07 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surfing the web - without a connection?

I've had enough of BT being crap, so I've cancelled all services with them - broadband, phone and line rental.

My phone now has no dial-tone.

My router in unplugged.

Yet I'm still able to connect and surf the internet using the exact same account. Any ideas how this is happening?

If I try to connect to any other WLAN, I am asked for the pass-key, however, the automatically selected network which appears to be the one I have disconnected does not ask for a passkey.

I've got my firewall etc turned on but don't want to risk sharing my data. Any ideas?
Old 30 April 2009, 09:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Yup, Dry Loop DSL

Basically the DSL side of things is independent of your phone service, or at least that is certainly true here. Therefore you can have no dial tone, but still have DSL access.

Hmm, just re-read and saw the router isn't plugged in. What's providing the WiFi access then? You sure you aren't using someone else's access point? Could be that they have the same SSID (network name) and no password set.

Last edited by Markus; 30 April 2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 30 April 2009, 09:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, don't think it is dry loop / naked dsl. According to this, it's not available in the UK.
Old 30 April 2009, 09:48 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

My neighbour has a BT hub, but she has a WEP passkey and a different SSID to me anyway.

My old network is FBEB and her's is 4AF1. It can't be the same router though as the signal strength is better looking at FBEB, than her 4AF1, but if they were the same router, you'd think it'd be the same strength.
Old 30 April 2009, 09:56 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Markus
Ok, don't think it is dry loop / naked dsl. According to this, it's not available in the UK.
thats not correct -- or at least it, not a few years ago

I moved my BT line from my London property when I moved to Cambridge, but left my router/adsl connection in London (my ADSL was with Nildram)

when I went back to my London property a few weeks later to do some work prior to renting it out (and collect my router and stuff) it still worked, I had www access etc -- but deffo no BT dialtone, as this was now active in Cambridge

as you say the ADSL connection is completely different from your BT connection or at least was

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 30 April 2009 at 09:59 PM.