Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Unsubcribing

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2009, 10:49 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Unsubcribing

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how difficult it can be to unsubscribe from various communications that get e-mailed to you? There is usually an "unsubscribe" button or link to click on, but I am amazed how many times this fails to work. It's as if they want to be seen to offer you this option, but refuse to actually carry it out. Maybe they want to dishonestly keep their "readership" figures high for some reason.
Old 09 April 2009, 11:54 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

NOOOOO!!! what they do is have a group of companies - by unsubscribing you are telling them the account is active. The first company does indeed stop sending mails but then you get loads of rubbish from the others......

Get a good spam filter instead
Old 09 April 2009, 11:58 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a purge a few weeks back and my spam box has now gone from 200 per day to about 20 per day.

What does annoy me is the number or 419 scams that are coming through. I should be a multi-billionaire by now given all of the lottery's I've won and inheritances I've received. About 2 or 3 a day get through the spam filter
Old 09 April 2009, 06:25 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Reputable companies, particularly EU based will stop. Also checkout the various organisations that operate opt-out lists, like the DMA, MOPs TPS etc.

Dodgy companies do use the opt-out system to spot active email accounts, so anti-spam software is a must.