Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any World of Warcraft players ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2009, 10:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any World of Warcraft players ?

Is it me or is it a sure fire way to end up divorced, massive and obsessed ?

What is the attraction ?
Old 25 March 2009, 08:25 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played the trial for a hour to see what the hype was and thought it was garbage
Old 25 March 2009, 10:45 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

There is a guy (a friend of a friend, funnily enough) that was absolutely obsessed with this, even to the point of rushing home every night, to stay up until 3/4am playing this. in the end, after getting quite a way into this, he uninstalled it all etc....thinking that would be it.. and then 2 months later he's resubscribed and clawing his way up the rankings (or whatever the method is) suffice to say he has no real mates, just virtual ones, and no life, just a virtual one.
there was a kid in sweden i belive that needed therapy to get him off it!!!!

like smoking, probably best not to start in the first place...

i prefer xbox live stuff anyway, not any role playing toss !!!!
Old 25 March 2009, 12:44 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

South park anyone?
Old 25 March 2009, 01:06 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by antc
I played the trial for a hour to see what the hype was and thought it was garbage
Agreed - I dont see the atraction its kiddyish graphics and is boring IMO yet millions play it - and a monthy fee is a joke for any game
Old 25 March 2009, 01:25 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I do guild wars

no fees at all, been playing for about 18 months now

but it tends to be in bursts.. a few months on........ a few off

because your playing against the pc, your not chasing rankings etc

Mart
Old 26 March 2009, 02:21 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i'm a reformed wow player, well tried it for a few weeks lol, couldn't get into it not sure how poeple can keep playing it so long, same old same old.

play EVE Online - a massive multiplayer online roleplaying space game - MMORPG now

been playing 3 years and still loving it, much more to do that on wow, and your not restricted to two different lines of skills. plus i prefer fighting spaceships to sword play lol

Trending Topics

Old 26 March 2009, 03:53 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : Eve Online

and its spot on
Old 26 March 2009, 04:21 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by judgejules
ROFL
Old 26 March 2009, 05:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
South park anyone?
"Mom, More Hotpockets!"

That is a truly amusing episode, and the god like other play really is the stereotypical WOW player, and remember kids, stereotypes exist for a reason!

I've got a couple of friends who play WOW. I've never tried it myself as I'm not really into that type of game, though I have played Knights Of The Old Republic, which is somewhat turn based, and I think WOW is somewhat similar, in that you up your stats and such like.

If I recall, "grinding" is the termed used for performing a repetitive task which allows you to level up certain skills.
Old 26 March 2009, 05:19 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

From another reformed addict:

Wow

Bloody good game.
Very gradual learning curve
Easy to play difficult (ish) to master.

Great sense of personal achievement
Great sense of progression
Good social aspect.

WOW fulfils many psychological aspects which some people are missing in their day to day life. Those who are susceptible slowly get more dependant & drawn into the game - becoming a recluse in real-life.

I've seen two divorces, one separation & several singletons lost to the void.

I personally saw that I had a problem after a couple of years. I then gave my "gold" away + gave someone else my account.

I do still want to play WoW, but recognise it for what it is.

- a bloody good life-eating game.
Old 26 March 2009, 05:32 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha im an eve player or was and i totally agree especially about the second job comment.

Once you have the skills it is great but the kids who take it far too seriously fecked me off and i ended up leaving for it.

A friend it trying to get me into eq2, played it once never fired it up since, what a retarded pos that game is.
Old 26 March 2009, 06:08 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some accounts go for hundreds when sold ... its really sad ..

One of the lads I work with got his misses involved with it and she actually met someone else through it !!

Then she left him !!
Old 26 March 2009, 10:43 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

lmao, dread to think what they say about wow then, thats mind numbingly boring, all you do is hit people lol
Old 26 March 2009, 10:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a social network basically, you can meet different people, join guilds, do quests etc, but like everything, you have to take it in moderation
It can get monotonous, but its up to the player to make it as interesting, or as uninteresting as he or she wants it to be.

Tony
Old 27 March 2009, 11:10 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A bloke at work eats, sleeps and breaths wow. He took a week off the other week and played it for over a 100 hours to save for enough gold to buy a motorbike
His old account got banned for botting or something and he ended up paying £150 to his sons mate, for his account.

I like those kind of games but I am not going to risk getting addicted
Old 31 March 2009, 01:00 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Never tried it myself as i'd probably would get addicted, however it's the first game to net over $1 billion so diss it all you like, they are doing something right
Old 31 March 2009, 01:07 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Who the **** wants to go for a vitual beer and watch social recluses trade items!

Its like second life, i.e only good if your real life is lacking something significant,(usually girls).

Go to the pub with real friends, watch footy and get pissed, then go home and meet up on cod 5 and go killling for a couple of hours, much better than a virtual beer!

South park has it right!
Old 31 March 2009, 01:09 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Never tried it myself as i'd probably would get addicted, however it's the first game to net over $1 billion so diss it all you like, they are doing something right
Uniting sexless, spotty, fat social recluses, and giving them a reason to live!
Old 31 March 2009, 04:29 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I played this for a while, whilst the graphics were pleasant enough, the game play was too easy. Very dumbed down.

Without being a recluse and keeping up my regular beer intake, I got to level 60 (pre expansion pack and level raise) in no time at all.

I had a backgroup of 3 years or more actually on Everquest when that first came out. So WoW was like a childs version in comparrison.

I dont even have a pc at home anymore, so couldnt comment on the current updated version.
Old 31 March 2009, 07:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

They play it at work, we went out for lunch, I sat with the WOW players and had to change tables as they were boring me sh1tless, they rattle on about it for hours, they play most nights, one of them drinks whilst he is playing and I seriously wonder about his health as he is very heavy and doesn't look well, its like a downward spiral, late nights, snacking and boozing plus no time to exercise, I am not perfect but I dont play that.

The kids are banned from installing it, the South Park Episode is very accurate yet the Wow players find it hillarious despite being very similar.
Old 31 March 2009, 11:49 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Uniting sexless, spotty, fat social recluses, and giving them a reason to live!
Good for you for stereotyping, however a mate of mine, happens to be skinhead, british bulldog tattoo's, served time for gbh etc (happens to be a nice guy if you know him ) loves his rpg's. I'll let you explain your theory to him . Online gaming and addiction is no longer an underground nerdy thing, get with the times
Old 03 April 2009, 12:53 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Good for you for stereotyping, however a mate of mine, happens to be skinhead, british bulldog tattoo's, served time for gbh etc (happens to be a nice guy if you know him ) loves his rpg's. I'll let you explain your theory to him . Online gaming and addiction is no longer an underground nerdy thing, get with the times
Just cos hes got a skin head and crap tattoos means i shouldnt tell him my (warped) opinion, bollocks.

Online gaming is no longer for the social **** ups of this world, but WOW is!

I online game 3 nights a week, but play something that doesnt require me to go to a mage on the other side of a map and give him 15 flowers so i can level up and buy some leather armour. I play an exctiting skillful game, thats about reactions and aiming skill, not who can read the manual the best and work out the best armour weapon combos then sell his accout to another, richer geek and statrt again, i dont see the fun in researching so much to become hard in the game, im hard at cod 5 cos im good at it, not cos i read forums every day to discover new weapon and magic combos, then spend weeks doing **** quests to buy the stuff.

Each to their own though!
Old 03 April 2009, 01:09 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I have played WOW, I didn't become addicted & I'm not an overweight nerd (gym at least 3 times a week for the last 15 years, plus an active social life & a missus) you are stereotyping the players of a game that 8 million people play on a regular basis. I'm sure that not all of those 8 million people are total waster geeks with no other life than WOW.

I know plenty of people that play online games that are geeks, but also enjoy other things in life, oh, like cars, wimmins, beer, excercise, music.. etc

Perhaps you should think about what you say before putting fingers to keys and spouting a load of blige.

Some people may think you are a saddo for playing COD5 with a bunch of pre-pubesent yankie schoolchildren.

each to their own...
Old 05 April 2009, 02:00 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

im hard at cod 5 cos im good at it
Uhhhh, excuse me. But don't you get "perks" in cod5 for "leveling up" that make you "harder" then a new player or a player that hasn't got some/all of the perks?

Sounds like WoW with different graphics to me.

Old 05 April 2009, 09:47 AM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

I lost my m8 to wow, i say to him lets go out on sat night, and hes like "oh thursdays, fridays, sat and sundays are raiding nights" im like ffs get a life.
Old 05 April 2009, 10:54 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uhhhh, excuse me. But don't you get "perks" in cod5 for "leveling up" that make you "harder" then a new player or a player that hasn't got some/all of the perks?

Old 06 April 2009, 12:53 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=flashgordon666;8621714]I lost my m8 to wow, i say to him lets go out on sat night, and hes like "oh thursdays, fridays, sat and sundays are raiding nights" im like ffs get a life.[/QU

Pretty much sums it up for me!

There has never been one time i havent gone out for a beer on a saturday night cos i need to go and be with my mates online and go raiding!

I take it he has no missus?

Last edited by GC8WRX; 06 April 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06 April 2009, 12:58 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Agreed, but it takes a few hours to get to level 65 (top) in cod, WOW is a constant grind is it not, it never ends!

Cod has no new players now, everyone has bought it, so were all on a level playing field, and the perks dont make that much difference, its all about gun choice!

I use a PPsh with stopping power and deep impact, and im lethal close up, but can pick off snipers on the other side of the map cos i know how to use the gun.

Quick Reply: Any World of Warcraft players ?