Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Group Policy Startup Script Unreliable

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2009, 10:50 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Group Policy Startup Script Unreliable

Hello all,
We are currently switching our Anti-Virus solution from Symantec to Kaspersky. To do this we need to take Symantec off the machines and install Kaspersky once it's been taken off. Kaspersky is installed via Group Policy as per their guide, once symantec is taken off a file is copied is copied to the machine, I apply a WMI filter to the group policy that looks for this file

Installation / Uninstallation

This works great and hasnt failed on me......yet

My problem lies in taking off symantec, to do this I am using a startup script. I also apply a WMI filter to this that looks for the "Symantec Antivirus" service before it runs. Script so far is below

NET STOP "Symantec AntiVirus"
NET STOP "DefWatch"
"C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LSETUP.EXE" /U /q
c:\windows\system32\reg.exe DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\Current Version\AdministratorOnly\Security" /v UseVPUninstallPassword /f
c:\windows\system32\msiexec /X {2085C617-589C-40F8-BE40-EDBC9E2CA2EB} REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qn
echo "uninstall endpoint first, started main installation kasper" >> \\server\KasperDeploy\logs\machine.%1.log
date /T >> \\server\KasperDeploy\logs\machine.%1.log
PING -n 30 127.0.0.1>nul
time /T >> \\server\KasperDeploy\logs\machine.%1.log
netsh firewall delete portopening tcp 2967
IF NOT EXIST "%systemdrive%\program files\Symantec Antivirus\VPC32.exe" copy \\kasperserver\KLSHARE\Packages\KAV6-Workstation\desav.txt %windir%\

shutdown -r -t 900 -c "ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE HAS BEEN INSTALLED, PLEASE REBOOT YOUR MACHINE, MACHINE WILL REBOOT IN 15 MINUTES :-)"

My problem with this is that the shutdown message often does not display and the machine is left with an Anti-Virus product on it for a considerable time. Please note we MUST prompt the user to shutdown the machine and cannot do it automatically (politics and red tape), a 15 minute timer is a compromise. A VB script may be better here but I am not fluent in VB at all. So does anyone know how I can make this script more reliable and always display the shutdown message

Last edited by mike1210; 24 February 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 24 February 2009, 12:48 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Why not change the script so it displays a message to the user along the lines of

"Anti-Virus software is about to be installed on your computer. Your PC will require a reboot....please save all open documents and press any key"

then run your script without the timer on the shutdown command

There's a utility called DisplayMessage.exe which will allow you to display message boxes from a batch file, you can configure buttons and ensure it always has focus...see options below...

C:\WINDOWS\Utils>displaymessage /?
Displays the specified message and returns the selected button in ERRORLEVEL.
DisplayMessage "text" "title" style
Common styles (which can be combined) are:
OK = 0
OKCANCEL = 1
ABORTRETRYIGNORE = 2
YESNOCANCEL = 3
YESNO = 4
RETRYCANCEL = 5
ICONSTOP = 16
ICONQUESTION = 32
ICONEXCLAMATION = 48
ICONINFORMATION = 64
SETFOREGROUND = 65536
TOPMOST = 262144
SERVICE_NOTIFY = 2097152
Possible return values are:
1=OK 2=CANCEL 3=ABORT 4=RETRY 5=IGNORE 6=YES 7=NO

Last edited by Hanley; 24 February 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 24 February 2009, 01:24 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You've missed the GPO setting to display start up and shut down scripts. It's under Computer Configuration, Administrative templates, System, Scripts

Run startup scripts visible and set to Enabled.

If this was Experts Exchange I'd get 2000 points for that

Last edited by Kieran_Burns; 24 February 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 24 February 2009, 01:32 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Incidentally, as an addendum. I found it useful to echo a bunch of messages to screen while the scripts run.

Stuff like:
Your Anti Virus Product is being updated, please be patient. Your pc will require a reboot at the end of the process
... stopping services...
uninstalling old product
performing clean up tasks
Installing updated Anti Virus
testing installation
Prompt for restart

People like to see things happening and if it hangs you can ask what is the last message on the screen for troubleshooting

Oh, and I **guarantee** that you'll get calls with the last message being ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE HAS BEEN INSTALLED, PLEASE REBOOT YOUR MACHINE, MACHINE WILL REBOOT IN 15 MINUTES :-)"
Old 27 February 2009, 02:45 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Oh, and I **guarantee** that you'll get calls with the last message being ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE HAS BEEN INSTALLED, PLEASE REBOOT YOUR MACHINE, MACHINE WILL REBOOT IN 15 MINUTES :-)"
Yes I totally agree, if it comes to a reboot message we would email the users in advance then the users > won't read it > will ring the helpdesk > complain because they are in middle of an important document (watching videos on youtube)

I have now got the script to take off Symantec and Kaspersky Anti-Virus in the one GPO even though it installs Kaspersky BEFORE Symantec is taken off ......and yes I know that's the wrong way around, I think it works as the Kaspersky engine isn't fully started anyway until its rebooted and by then Symantec "should" be fully removed. I have had a few tests where it didn't though which could be problematic. I will need to test in a lab with 30 computers all at the same time to put the server under a bit of load

Hanley: Good idea but I don't trust the users to run the program, cheers for the pointer though

Cheers for the tips guys
Old 28 February 2009, 02:41 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

also if you have several scripts running at the same time, i,e, called for the same location, the local processing of them can become unreliable, as they get processed in different orders

there is a GPO setting that sets them to run synchronously, which MS take to mean one after the other, although being a slight pedant it actually means they should run together if you get my meaning