Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

POP3 mail account and multiple PCs

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2009, 08:47 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POP3 mail account and multiple PCs

Hi all

I have a POP3 mail account with BTinternet, and use Outlook 2007 on one PC to download the mail and process it.

I will be buying a small netbook (Eee PC or similar) shortly and want to be able to access the POP3 account from both PCs. Now I know I can do this by setting the laptop up to not delete the messages off the server, and the home PC to delete them, thus getting all new mails on the laptop and home PC (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...24431033.aspx), but I want to make sure folders, sent items, etc are synced, the same way as when I access my mail at work through different machines to the same Exchange server.

Is there a way of doing this ? Am I able to set up an Exchange server that connects to the POP3 account and downloads the mail, then set up the laptop and home PC to connect to this new Exchange server ?

Dave

Last edited by druddle; 23 February 2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 23 February 2009, 09:16 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

IMAP is the way to go if you're ISP supports it.

Actually got round to doing it myself recently as I was fed up being on the move and not having the latest mail and sent items to reference.

Once you get used it, it's cool.
Old 23 February 2009, 09:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Hello Dave,
I don't think POP will allow you to do what you want. What you probably want to look at is IMAP.

My understanding is that when you're using POP, you've got a local mailbox on the computer, so sent items stay locally, they don't get synced with the server.

With IMAP, the mailboxes are actually on the server (and maybe also the client) and thus they are synced, and so no matter what computer you're on, you'll have access to all the messages in all the mailboxes (In, Sent, etc...)

My suggestion would be to see if BTInternet allows you to use IMAP instead of/as well as POP, if they do, then this could allow you to do what you want.
Old 23 February 2009, 11:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Set up a Gmail IMAP account, forward all mail from BT.
Old 25 February 2009, 04:11 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I use IMAP to do exactly the same - it works well. I use 1&1 and it's been mega reliable.

1&1 Internet Ltd.-1&1 Mail-1&1 Instant Mail

fyi - See here for a HOW-TO on how you can keep other Outlook items (tasks, diary, notes) in sync between a main pc and a note

Acer Aspire One User Forum • View topic - HOWTO - Sync your PIM data between main PC and Netbook