Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Race Pro on Xbox 360

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2009, 12:44 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Pro on Xbox 360

So it's out on friday ..... My order has been posted

who will be on for a bit of touring car action this weekend. Promise I won't go too fast

Last edited by RB5-Black; 18 February 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 18 February 2009, 01:00 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

May take you up on that. Mine's been posted as well
Old 19 February 2009, 12:15 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ohh i was just about to post to see if anyboys got it yet?

the atari forums dont look very promising !
Old 19 February 2009, 02:13 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Been getting good reviews. I guess if you expect it to be a dumbed down eye-candy type of game (like Grid, PGR4, GT5 etc) then you could be disappointed. If you want a proper sim, then it's the closest a console game has come yet...
Old 19 February 2009, 02:35 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

is it as good as forza2??? the $1,000,000 question !!!
Old 19 February 2009, 02:45 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Let you know when it arrives
Old 19 February 2009, 03:18 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i really do hope that its a good game, but my spider sense is tingling like hell, an i trust my tadger 100%

its the way that they held the demo back that worried me the most.

i have 40quids worth of game vouchers (had them since xmas) so its not like it will cost me anything if its crap, but i would prefer not to waste them if possible

Last edited by StickyMicky; 19 February 2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 19 February 2009, 05:00 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
If you want a proper sim, then it's the closest a console game has come yet...

Just what I wanted to hear
Old 19 February 2009, 05:14 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Well, that's what the review have said. We'll have to see whether the game lives up to it
Old 19 February 2009, 05:20 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I'm holding back, the demo missing from Xbox live is a bad sign and the videos they've posted on Xbox live look terrible.
Forza will be hard to better
Old 19 February 2009, 11:30 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metacritic's currently on 69 which is average, only way to truly know is to try it yourself , maybe there's a recession on gamer scores?
Old 20 February 2009, 08:10 AM
Jonnip74
Scooby Regular

Who's tried it this morning then??? As good /bad as they say??

I'm off into town this afternoon to grab a copy...
Old 20 February 2009, 08:55 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Another waiting for the demo/everyone else's reviews as I just don't buy games now without seeing a demo first or hearing others raving about it.
Yeah, I'm waiting to see what people have to say too. I'd found a couple of reviews online that didn't seem too excited about it, so decided to hang on.
Old 20 February 2009, 08:56 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

I got my copy yesterday and all you need to know is that I'm sticking to Forza 2.

It lacks feel and the Force feedback intigration is poor compared to Forza. Visually it's not the best and the sound is shocking.

Take this with a pinch of salt due to me only haaving played the first hour but I can't see it getting much better.
Old 20 February 2009, 09:01 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The atari forums say pretty much the same thing, a few fanboys are telling people that you need to spend more then 2 hours on it to really "get it" but the vast majority of them seam displeased.

will give the demo a whirl at some point and probably pick up a preowned copy later on.

might pick up another copy of grid as i quite liked that one!
Old 20 February 2009, 09:28 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
The lack of demo speaks volumes to me as the demo should be creating huge hype and pre orders galore but they didn't release one. Why would they do that? The only reason I can think of is because if it wasn't as popular as everyone was hoping it would kill sales for it stone dead.

If I had played a Demo I wouldn't have bought this.

I'm off out on my bike for a while then I'm back in to give it a few hours this afternoon. I'll see if it grows on me or I go back to finishing Dead Space
Old 20 February 2009, 09:55 AM
Ballistic
Scooby Regular

Got my copy yesterday and I'd like to add my thoughts so far.

Graphics wise it's not the sharpest tool in the box but it's more than adequate and using the bumper cam (my favourite view) I experienced no pop-up or tearing.

It works very well with the Microsoft wheel on the default settings though I will experiment with the ffb stength as for me it feels a bit week.

Had a quick blast around Macau in a DB9 and it's very narrow through the twisties (only passing places look like the main straights). Using the in-car view there's a great feeling of weight transfer under acceleration/braking as the driver moves backwards and forwards.

Next I tried a mini around Brands. This is a circuit I know quite well, having raced there, and imo the way it's been replicated in this sim is the best yet. The way the track drops away exiting paddock, through pilgrims and the camber around druids all feels so just right.
I also found the mini a real hoot to drive, spitting flames out of the exhaust and changing down through the gears sounds spot on. The exhaust does sound different depending on which car view you use and overall the audio side has been done very well, especially when played through a decent sound system.
So far I've only used default car setups which for the aston & mini seemed to work quite well, you can easily win at pro level using the wheel. This surprised me as I've found with previous Simbin offerings the cars understeer a lot using default settings.

Imo Simbin/Atari are onto a real winner with this sim and it will keep any race-sim enthusiast more than happy until the release of fm3 and gt5.

Highly recommended.
Old 20 February 2009, 11:06 AM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Just had a blast on this and done the first few levels of career mode on pro, with a pad as no steering wheel. Game is ok and I was getting quite engrossed in the team contract laps picking braking points and turn in points, then you move on to the race...

For a sim i'm struggling with the idea you can drive into a formula bmw (open wheel car) and not sustain any damage... seems to be quite tolerant before damage is invoked in fact I even checked to see if it was on but couldn't find an option.

I can see some good battles as was had previously on Forza if people give it a chance, not even thought about playing with settings yet, and it's just as satisfying when you nail a good lap as in Forza
Old 20 February 2009, 12:43 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Does the microsoft wheel make alot off difference then?
Old 20 February 2009, 01:58 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Either you guys are playing a differn't game to me or you've never played Forza.

I'll admit I've now completed all the tryouts for cars up to D class and it's getting better as I get used to it but Forza is still a much better game.

I've got a few gripes that I hope they fix. There is a bad sound blip when you look behind then back to normal. The FF is just plain bad on the MS wheel. Playing forza you get a real feedback on where the grip is on the front end. In this it just isn't there.
Old 20 February 2009, 02:15 PM
Jonnip74
Scooby Regular

Just picked up my copy, have to wait till later to have a go. At the end of the day, I'm not interested in flashy graphics, as long as the cars 'feel' right. Forza2 was a cracking game, but it's time for something a bit different. Looks like Race Pro may just do that!

Anyone got a Logitech FFB wheel that they've used with it? Got one at home and it's good with Forza, hope that the things that you guys are saying are improved with a different wheel other than the MS one.
Old 20 February 2009, 02:56 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Loads of people seam to be complaining about the force feedback, one poster on the atari forums claims its the same no matter which wheel you use?

might be a bug or something that needs addressed.
Old 20 February 2009, 05:39 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

played a bit more and it does get better. Mini round Brans is good fun. Try flat in forth round the new section in the woods

FF needs fixed there is no feeling from the car starting to slide.
Old 20 February 2009, 10:23 PM
Wizzbang
Scooby Regular

I got this yesterday, popped it in and very nearly threw it out of the window within 10 mins, it just didnt feel the same as Forza.

Left it for a while, then put it back on, and started to play the game for what it was, a racing sim. Once your past the different feel from Forza, its a real hoot. Rather than looking to provoke a bit of looseness in the car a la forza, a genuine racing car wont drive in that fashion, it needs to be tight and lead from the front end, and once you start driving it properly it starts to reward you.

The Radicals lapping Brands quickly is really superb, getting the lines right, getting enough brakes to slow you sufficiently for the corner, and nailing the exit, and flowing around the back section is enough for me to continue with this game

Im looking forward to some decent races online with this too.
Old 21 February 2009, 07:25 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

gahhh, i wish they would just release the bloody demo

i am still play quite a bit of LFS on the pc, and that is about as sim as you can get!
so was rather interested in a sim getting transferred over to the 360.
Old 21 February 2009, 10:04 AM
n one
Scooby Regular

I`ve had about 3 hours on it, seems just another average driving game to me. It`s quite good fun but theres definetly something missing. I always thought Forza was very over rated so was looking forward to this `sim` so unless you`re really desperate for a fresh game keep your money.

I can`t make my mind up if the sound is good or just truely awful. As mentioned, there`s just not enough, if any feel to the driving. Maybe I need more time on it, the next few hours will tell then perhaps it`ll filed away next to Forza, Grid and Dirt in the average section. Perhaps I was expecting too much from this game, it seems so.

Was this game made in 1998 and not 2008?

Overall I`m disapointed.

Back to Richard Burns Rally for me then . . .
Old 21 February 2009, 12:18 PM
Jonnip74
Scooby Regular

Logitech Dive FX force feedback wheel.... No force feedback from the game. Not even a rumble.... Annoyed!
Old 21 February 2009, 07:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i caved in and went to buy a copy today, only to find my local games shop had sold out

bizzare!

ended up trading "timeshift" (what a load of crap that is) in against a preowned copy of "pure" (where the hell has my day gone, its now dark outside and i smell of "xbox" )

Quick Reply: Race Pro on Xbox 360