Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Flash player in Safari not working?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2009, 09:06 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash player in Safari not working?

Hello,

A friend of mine who has a PC has downloaded Safari and when looking at a particular website ( FSG Property Services for the installation of soffits, bargeboards, facias, guttering and all roofline products) the video next to the logo does not appear. I have tried it with opera, firefox and safari on my Mac and the video will not load. We both have the latest version of flash. But the video does work with IE6/7. Is it a web browser problem or website/flash problem?
Old 14 February 2009, 08:40 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's a browser problem, this website has flash but it works in IE8, Firefox 3, Safari, Chrome and Opera: :: e92plus - Welcome to e92plus - Your IT Security Distribution Partner ::

Looks like a website programming issue, but beyond that I can't help. Sorry!
Old 14 February 2009, 05:03 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thank you
Old 14 February 2009, 09:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've tried Safari and Firefox on OS X and there is a white space where the flash content should be displayed. If I right-click in the space, I'd usually see options for the flash content, but it simply states "movie not loaded".

I think I've found the cause of the problem from looking at the source. The OBJECT section is as follows:

Code:
<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" WIDTH=439 HEIGHT=280>		 
<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="images/FSG02.swf">
<PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high>
<PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#ffffff>
<EMBED src="images/FSG02e.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#ffffff  WIDTH=439 HEIGHT=280 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">
</EMBED>
</OBJECT>
I believe the issue is with the EMBED line. If you look it's referencing a file named FSG02e.swf in the images directory, however, the PARAM NAME=movie line is referencing a file named FSG02.swf in the images directory

If I try and access a full url of www fsgtechnologies.co.uk/images/FSG02e.swf then I get a 404 (Page not found) error. If however I change the filename in the url to FSG02.swf I see the flash file (it's a house outline, turns into a picture of a house with sound playing).

Thus I think the problem is simply an incorrect filename being used in the PARAM line. My guess is that some browsers are simply using the information in the EMBED line and ignoring the PARAM line, whereas others are looking at the EMBED line and thus as the file does not exist, they fail to display it.

Hope that helps.