Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How fiddly for a firm with a PBX phone system to give me my own (non PBX) line?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2009, 08:04 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fiddly for a firm with a PBX phone system to give me my own (non PBX) line?

I have an office in a building with PBX phone system....so there's there tradtional sockets you plug your phone in then dial 9 for line etc.

Because their LAN is very restricted (to screw with their staff....not me - they dont care what i do on the net) and my mobile me software wont go through their proxy i need my own ADSL line.

Before i go asking for it - how much hassle is that for them? Do BT just flick some switches and suddenley one of the sockets in my office becomes a "normal" phone line or is it a lot of hassle with running of cables, huge expense (other than rental of the line, happy to pay that myself)

I suspect they'll say no just because they cant be bothered so want to know how easy it is before i speak with them so i can counter their laziness!
Old 21 January 2009, 09:45 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

BT to install a new line / circuit mate - the pbx system is an internal system that allows larger multiples of people to share one or smaller multiple numbers of external lines. Some systems are fed from standard copper lines, some from multi-core cables and some from fibre-optic - varies from site to site and whatever the last install requirement was usually. Depending on how the building is already serviced will vary how simple the job is for them to do though ..... that said, it doesn't necessarily reflect in the price lol!

If all you need is an external internet connection for data (as opposed to being able to stick a phone handset on it) then why not ask the company in question to directly connect you through their DMZ / Untrusted network ports? - more likely to be the untrusted one since that will totally isolate you from their internal lan but do make sure your pc is running an up to date firewall and virus scanner since you won't have that companies systems to protect your machine
Old 21 January 2009, 10:00 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

would that solve the problem of apples mobile me (iphone sync app) which wont work through a proxy (i dont know what that means...just what apple told me!)

and is it easy for your standard IT help desk dude to be able to tell me how to access the "Untrusted" port?
Old 21 January 2009, 10:15 PM
scoobymad555
Scooby Regular

the connection to the untrusted side of their network "should" solve your problem. I say should because i'm assuming they're not running through an "off-site" proxy i.e. one they don't have physical ownership of located in their building.

As for the techie .... erm ..... to be honest, it's been my experience that many of them struggle to dress themselves in the mornings nevermind do something more complicated than tell you to reboot when they encounter something their college course didn't cover. No disrespect to the ones that do know their stuff though cos i've worked with them too and they're the ones that are worth their weight in gold! ..... Anyways, this is generally considered outside the remit of an average techie since (a) they usually only deal with pc's / software and (b) it would require agreement from the person responsible for the network upkeep itself .... most Network admins would be sacking people left, right and centre for making a change like this without prior approval
Old 21 January 2009, 10:25 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

hmmm.....so the phone line may be an easier pitch even if the port thing may be simpler.

are the cost from BT likey to be big for the phone because it's a company? in my house i'd expect a second line to be pretty cheap to get up and running?

Last edited by Tiggs; 21 January 2009 at 10:27 PM.