Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broken Laptop Screen

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2008, 11:11 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Laptop Screen

My son has managed to break his laptop screen, is there a way I can set it up to run with a LCD moniter bearing in mind you can`t see a thing on the broken screen to alter any settings. Also where would be the best place to get a replacement screen from and would It be possible to change it myself, the laptop make is lenovo btw.
Old 14 November 2008, 11:30 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

You might get away with just plugging a LCD screen into the connector at the back of the laptop - might have to press one of the keys to enable it (normally FN + F5)

Can get spares for laptop screen from here IBM Thinkpad Spares or IBM model Laptop Screens

but be warned a replacement screen can be close to the cost of a new laptop ! On a Lenovo - depending on model it can be a complete strip down - depends on how the ribbon cable is connected on from the motherboard to the screen. Depends how good you are at taking stuff apart ?

Richard

PS I work for an authorized Lenovo repair center - Our parts come from Lenovo direct (not always the cheapest or the fastest!!
Old 15 November 2008, 12:02 AM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Tried just plugging in but no joy, on another laptop I have pressing FN and F5 brings up a box asking to confirm the change to LCD.
I have also attempted to look at how the screen is held in ,the ribbon cable is easy enough I disconnected that and refitted it just to see if I could but the screen forms part of the hinges on it and I couldn`t see how to get it off, as you say may be a complete stripdown. Will look through those sites to see the cost and weigh up the options.
Old 15 November 2008, 12:14 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It might not be F5. You should be able to see the key with the monitor picture on it. There is sometimes a slight delay, because you have the option to have External monitor/no LCD, External mon/LCD or no external/LCD
So give it a few seconds between each press.
Old 15 November 2008, 10:04 AM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

You can also change the default display device in BIOS,I know you cant see much but a lot of times its trial and error until you get a display. The FN button & the Square icon on one of the F# keys can change to a external screen.
Old 15 November 2008, 11:07 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Mine is F8 to switch between internal and external screens

I wouldnt buy a genuine part, the screen on my new works laptop got shattered and a genuine HP was going to cost 350 quid, I got one from ebay the same model and make (as HP dont actually make LCD Screens) for 110 quid