Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows XP and Dial Up connections

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2002, 11:13 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have recently installed Windows Xp and have been pretty pleased with the resultd. The only thing that is starting to annoy me is a problem I'm having connecting to the 'net sometimes.

Basically what happens is:
When I first boot up the computer will connect quite happily to the internet via the internal modem when asked to. If I disconnect then attempt to reconnect it will usually do that too. However, any more attempts to connect result in failure.
The modem will dial out, log on and get to the "Authenticating" stage where it will then just hang until it trips itself off after about 30 seconds. Other times it will connect up (icon appears in the tray) but programs cannot access the internet. For example, my "Simplecheck" email checking program just gives "No DNS Server" error messages and IE gives "Page unavilable offline" messages. A quick reboot sorts this out instantly but that is a bit extreme and becoming a bit of a pain in the a..e. This is not an ISP specific problem; it happens with all my dial up accounts.

The PC is a PIII 600, 512Mb RAM, 56K Modem, 10/100 NIC (not connected to a network at the moment though) running ZoneAlarm firewall software.

Anyone that can solve this prob for me will probably save my PC from being beaten to death with a hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 14 February 2002, 12:36 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same problem here. Was told by AOL to get rid of global.org and reset dial up numbers.
Seems to have worked so far.
Alasdair
Old 14 February 2002, 03:09 PM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

I've had the same problem for ages as well.. Its a proper nightmare.. I reckon its Zonealarm thats causing it. I changed the other day to Sygate Personal Firewall and its been trouble free so far...

A word of warning.. Zonealarm doesn't seem to uninstall itself complete and you have to do a bit of registry hacking to get rid of it.. Instrucions are on the Zonelabs home page.
Old 14 February 2002, 03:12 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

A big for Sygate Personal Firewall from me too. ZomeAlarm just got on my nerves
Old 14 February 2002, 03:54 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

XP disabled Zone alarm for me as it wasn't compatible. Using Tiny Pesonal Firewall now.

P.