Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What would cause my laptop to freeze and totally lock up ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2008, 08:04 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would cause my laptop to freeze and totally lock up ?

I was using my laptop this afternoon when everything totally froze and locked up, all i had open at the time was a bbc sports web page. I first noticed something wasn`t right when my mouse wouldn`t move the cursor, its a wireless mouse so i checked the USB dongle and the green light was not dispalyed so i thought maybe the batteries had run out.

I thought never mind i`ll use my touch pad for now and sort that out later, my touch pad is always enabled and that wasn`t working either. I thought Hmmmm, i then tried my disc drive to see if that would open so i clicked the button for it to open and nothing at all, the caps lock wasn`t working either as that usually has a green LED on and again nothing, basically the whole screen was froze on the web page i was viewing and none of the functions were working on my laptop as i tried numerous keys like escape and all the F keys and windows symbol etc but nothing worked.

I basically had to turn the power off which i wasn`t keen on doing for obvious reasons, that was my last resort so to speak. I powered it back up and got the usual option after you have turned the power off and not shut down proper asking me which mode i wanted to start windows in, safe or normal etc. I powered it up in normal mode and here i am again back to normal with it seems everything working as it should do. Any ideas what happened to cause this, my laptop is only about a month old and it runs windows vista ultimate 32 bit, its a sony vaio.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 28 October 2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 28 October 2008, 08:16 PM
Wenker Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overheating or a dodgy internal connector would be my guess.

A frozen mouse pointer usually means something has gone up with the hardware.

You could run a memory dianostics, type "memory" in the start menu search and run the memory diagnostic tool. It will need to reboot the system to test it. Or you can download a similar tool called memtest86+

For overheating, you can download and run a few instances of a program called "Prime95" (one for each processor core). Which should stress test the system.

If either of the two keep producing repeatable errors or crashes then ship it back under warranty as its faulty.