Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

white BT HomeHub

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2008, 12:27 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white BT HomeHub

Sunday, our internet went down on both computers (my Mac and my dad Dell PC). It was the second time this has happened. I phoned BT yesterday (on my birthday, I might ad) and told them what the problem was. The guy at the other end was, yep you guessed it Indian. He had to keep checking his 'script' to tell me what to do Things like re setting the hub, changing the channel etc... which seem to do the trick. Then after 1h 20 mins we got the internet working on both computers.

So we don't get into this problem again would it be advantageous to get the newer black hub or get an after market unit to dish out the internet?

Also, where the bt phone line comes into the house we have the bt hub and the answer phone/wireless phone next to each other, could this cause a problem. Now we have had the wireless phones 3 weeks and it was only sunday that it went out... coincidence?

Darren
Old 14 October 2008, 02:53 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wireless phones can cause problems with the wireless internet when they use the same freq .. what did the fella on the phone tell you to do that actually fixed it ?
Old 14 October 2008, 04:58 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I had this and the BT internet connection would reset about 4 times a day. It did it when i was on the phone to India, and the guy asked me the same inane questions he had 1 min previously. When they ask what OS you are using, just say Ubuntu, and then Firefox as a web browser and it stumps them......

My problem ended up being an overheating homehub so I got sent a new one (which i havent connected yet as the new PC hasnt arrived....)
Old 14 October 2008, 06:46 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Wireless phones can cause problems with the wireless internet when they use the same freq .. what did the fella on the phone tell you to do that actually fixed it ?
He told me to type in 432.543.5.543 (for example) in safari which would bring up 'my broadband connection' page using a cat 5 network cable plugged between my mac and the hub as wireless was not working. Go to the advanced settings and chance the channel to see which one worked. 1 - 13 channels. I tried them all and it did not work, so he said to shunt down the mac and also turn off the hub and disconnect the phone line from it then put it all back on again and somehow it worked. Apparently the hubs can go into 'sleep mod' of their own accord

I did try before calling them turning the hub off and disconnecting the phone line and restarting the mac, but this did not work.
Old 16 October 2008, 02:00 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Good luck it took nearly a month talking to BT's inane 'helpdesk' staff in Mumbaii to get nowhere about a problem with the Home Hub, I had to write formal complaint to BT for any actual progress, and get the hub replaced.
Old 17 October 2008, 01:04 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Well its back to normal now.

What are the new black BT Homehubs like compared to the white ones?
Old 19 October 2008, 06:57 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

err
Old 20 October 2008, 02:00 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I really would like some input on this as again yesterday evening (Sun) it went down again. The same time as last week. But this time the wireless signal was fluctuating up and down like a yo-yo. However, come this morning it was fine So what is going on?
Old 20 October 2008, 06:35 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Simple enough - the bloody things are crap.

I have two here, neither are in use as it took all of 30 minutes to see just how bad they are.

Save yourself the trouble and go buy a decent switch instead

This will do: Netgear DG834GT 108Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem/Router
Old 20 October 2008, 09:46 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Simple enough - the bloody things are crap.

I have two here, neither are in use as it took all of 30 minutes to see just how bad they are.

Save yourself the trouble and go buy a decent switch instead

This will do: Netgear DG834GT 108Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem/Router
Or get another one (with a different colour case) and throw good money after bad!
Old 21 October 2008, 01:26 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

The white ones are sh*e. I've got several clients with these at home and they always lock up. They need a factory reset and then reconfiguring to work again. This happens far too often.

I've got a BT business hub and that's just as bad. I binned it in favour of a router I can configure myself and is about 5 million times more reliable.
I now use a Zxyel router. If you pick the BT ones up just by the weight of them you can tell they are cheap nasty crap.
Old 21 October 2008, 11:09 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thank you for your response.

Apart from that netgear router, what else is there so I can compare.
Old 26 October 2008, 05:45 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

bump. I would like to know what other routers are good that work with bt?

cheers
Old 26 October 2008, 11:52 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

netgear - I have 5 white bt home hubs here and a black one (various flavours of the white one). black was worse than the whites (which were all crap, variously dropping the line, overheating etc - it ended up as a game for me, enjoying shouting at the thickos on the Indian call centre and letting them send engineers to confirm there's nothing wrong with the line - must have cost BT a fortune). black one had half the coverage of the white ones (put them both on next to each other alongside a netgear - white was double the black, the netgear was double the best white).

not had a problem since getting the netgear - it's the dg834 as above and is terrific.

G
Old 27 October 2008, 10:37 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thank you Gordo.

Netgear it is then