Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows 2000 Windows Login screen HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2002, 04:51 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the W2K Windows Login screen is the option to not only put in your username and password, but the ability to dial in.

My machine is used to dial into work and this is fine once I have logged onto the pc using the Windows Login screen.

However I would like to do this from the windows login screen.
But when I click the dial in option, enter my logon details, I get a message which I think is the following:

There are no connections available to all users, log on to windows first.

Does anyone know how to set up the windows logon screen so that I can use the dial up option. There is only ever going to be me using the machine so the ability to allow all users to have connections is not really a security issue.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10 February 2002, 07:40 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

There seems to be a hazy recollection about setting up a dial-up for all users or for the current user.. I think you need to ensure that the dial-up you use once logged in can be used by all users..

Sorry if a bit hazy on this as I normally only deal with AD and W2K Domain controllers...

cheerio
Old 10 February 2002, 09:44 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

ga22ar is correct.

Make a duplicate copy of your existing DUN connection and specify that it's available to all users (not just the current one) and it should work fine.

If it dosen't work I'll take another look.

Darren
Old 11 February 2002, 01:47 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

Once logged in via the W2K windows logon screen, anyone can dial up to the network. However what I want to do is to tick the 'dial up' box on the W2K windows logon screen to connect to the network RATHER than having to login first to Windows.

I have duplicated the DUN BUT I cannot see an option to make this available to all users.

I think what is happening is that at the W2K logon screen, because it does not know who you are until you have logged in, it is not allowing you to dial in until you have logged in to windows.

Even though I specify my user name, password and domain and tick the 'dial up' box, I still get 'connections not available to all users'. If I untick this box, then it allows me to log in to windows AND then it will let me dial up to the network. At the moment I cannot see the point of allowing you to specify the 'dial up' option on the logon screen as it doesn't seem to work.

Is there anything I am doing wrong or I need to change as this has been puzzling me all day and I am determined to get the pc to allow me to login to the domain from the inital login screen!!

Thanks again in advance for any help...............
Old 11 February 2002, 10:06 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will have to create a new DUN connection using the relevent details. One of the options you will get when creating a new connection is 'available to all users'.

Cheers
Paul