Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

I-Pod advice after PC re-install

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2008, 12:01 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I-Pod advice after PC re-install

Over the past week I have had to re-install my entire operating system due to quite a substancial virus hoping on board, even through my Mcafee security centre.

Anyway now that the system is stable 'thanks to (SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!) I would like to obtain a little advice on what to do with my I-Pod, as I know their quite sensitive to a change in PC's etc.

What would be the best advice to avoid loosing the info on my i-Pod, do i just connect and all is well or do i tread carefully to avoid loosing my entire collection.
Old 15 September 2008, 12:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The key thing here is wether the iPod/iTunes was set to auto-sync when you are running iTunes and connect an iPod. If it's set to auto-sync then when you plug the iPod in, it will check against iTunes, which probably does not have any music in it, and will sync against that, thus removing your music from the iPod.
If it wasn't set to auto-sync, you should be ok. I have a feeling that iTunes does ask the first time it sees an iPod what you want to do in regards to auto-syncing, so if it asks when you plug it in, I'd suggest telling it not to auto-sync.

If you don't have a copy of what was on your iPod, then you'll need a third party application to allow you to copy the music from your iPod to your hard drive, at which point you could then add it to your iTunes Library, and then iTunes and the iPod would have the same collection of music and you would be back to where you were before the reinstall.

In regards to it being sensitive to a change in computers, the other thing to remember is that if you have any music purchased from the iTunes Store, then you'll need to login to that account on the machine. I can't remember what it uses to uniquely identify the machine, if it's the MAC (ethernet/wireless card) Address and you have not changed that, then you could be ok. iTunes allows you to "authorize" up to five computers at a time, so unless you have other machines running iTunes, you should be ok. Worst case, there is a "De-authorize all computers" option, which you can use to clear out this list and start over.
Old 28 September 2008, 04:32 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

still not quite sure how to download my tunes from my i-pod to enable them to be saved to another option then moved into my new itunes library
Old 28 September 2008, 09:20 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

You need extra software as you can't do it with Itunes.