Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Tablet PC's

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2008, 03:33 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tablet PC's

Never really looked at Tablet PC's but have just had a request for one. It's for pre-school age - rather than a laptop.

What sort of thing do people recommend? Cost will no doubt be an issue. I think they want something that is a bit more robust than a laptop for the young 'uns!
Old 12 September 2008, 04:59 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

you will pay a premium for a tablet laptop like the lenovo X61 Tablet. for kids, i think a USB tablet pad would be more cost effective. have a look for WACOM.
Old 12 September 2008, 10:52 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jowl
It's for pre-school age
You are kidding aren't you

If not then I'd recommend my xplore IX104C2. It survives very well at sewage works and is used by the US army in the field - but I'm sure that an under 5 would still destroy it.

nick

Last edited by Butty; 12 September 2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 13 September 2008, 09:54 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

There's nothing wrong with a pre-schooler having a PC/IT device.....

Yes, it would have to be robust, as accidents can happen, but at the same time, we ALL break things from time to time!

My 4yr-old had a computer (locked down for obvious reasons, and it's a Mac ) - she's now 5, and not once has she broken it, or asked me to fix it.....

She's got some DVDs on it, and surfs the (severely restricted, as in safe site only) internet (Peppa pig etc)..... she can now print, draw and even do music.

Shame Apple don't do a tablet
Old 13 September 2008, 10:16 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's nothing wrong with pre-school kids having ACCESS to IT, but to contemplate purchasing a costly Tablet PC because a child wants one is what I find difficult to understand.

My reason for a tablet is because a laptop was difficult to hold one handed in the field and car. When at a desk, it needs a mount to hold it and a BT keyboard which added to the cost.
A child is surely going to tire of holding a tablet in its hand or get pretty uncomfortable using it flat on a table.

Surely a PC is going to last longer than a laptop or tablet? The screen and case is at some distance away and it will be keyboard and mouse that bares the brunt of wear and tear.
If space is at a premium then a uATX os slim client based system will cut down the size.

Nick
Old 13 September 2008, 10:55 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

It not for an individual child (I have images of of a screaming brat shouting 'want one' ) but a nursery.

Its not something we've been asked before - I'm just doing the research. They aldready have access to a Mac and a PC desktop. I can see that a laptop could be a bit fragile - though not sure about the tablet idea.