Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac/Eudora Email sending problem

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2008, 09:29 AM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac/Eudora Email sending problem

Eudora 6.1 Email on OS 10.4.11

Can send text messages but problems with sending attachments for the past 24 hours. Although they 'seem' to be sending, and in fact appear in my sent box at Gmail (where all my mail comes/goes) and some even arrive at their destination, the task sending and sent email box on my Mac refuse to update to message sent status - a test Email last night at 9 is apparently still being sent....some 12 hours later....

If I press the stop button on the task progress window I get

Error while sending mail for Dominant : I said: DATA and the SMPT server said:

And of course while trying to send, it 'locks' up my Email putting them in a Q so I can't send anything else...

I've looked through some Eudora FAQs without success

Seem to be OK to receive, at the moment.....

Last edited by Freelance Badger; 12 September 2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 12 September 2008, 12:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Eudora, there's a blast from the past!

Firstly, 6.1 isn't the latest version, 6.4.2 is, so my first suggestion would be to backup your current setup, and upgrade to 6.4.2 (not sure if it's a free upgrade though, but looking at their site, it seems it's possibly a free product now, or at least you cannot purchase it any longer)

You state that the error message is:

Error while sending mail for Dominant : I said: DATA and the SMPT server said:

Is there anything after the ... SMPT server said: bit (and I presume you mean it says SMTP) and if so, what exactly does it say?

How exactly do you have Eudora configured, it sounds as though you have a single account, which is configured using POP to communicate to Gmail's servers, is this correct? If this is the case, then do you have your settings configured to authenticate to the gmail server? I'd say you probably do have this, as otherwise I doubt you'd be able to send/receive any mail at all.

Is there any specific reason why you are using Eudora rather than Apple's Mail.app?
Old 12 September 2008, 01:33 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Been using Eudora for years and really like/understand how to use it - so dont want to change - been fine upto a few days ago. Have read not very good reviews of new version so not bothered to change - if it aint broke, dont fix it reasoning...

Error message is blank after server said:

Been using this set-up via Gmail for several months without this problem, (and years with my ISP) and has the advantage that all my Emails are backed up, with Gmail as well as my Mac

Should add not added now software/updates etc to anything on my Mac this week
Old 12 September 2008, 02:00 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The error message being blank is ever so useful isn't it

There should be a log somewhere for Eudora, it would be worthwhile having at look in there and seeing if there is any additional information (feel free to post it here, obviously removing IP addresses/passwords etc.. or PM it to me)
Old 12 September 2008, 02:40 PM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Ok - discovered how to record a Eudora log - did it and my Email went first time.....and then worked straight away a second time as well.....at the moment can't seem to replicate the problem - how typical is that - almost like it knows I'm watching it.....
Old 12 September 2008, 03:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It's what my old boss used to call the "Emotion Manager". A machine "knows" when you're angry, so it works slower, it knows if you enable logging to track a problem, so it behaves