Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ip address conflict

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2008, 08:13 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy ip address conflict

today i bought a wireless router and the desktop/xbox/wii all work fine but the laptop kept displaying this message... Another computer no this network has the same ip address as this computer. Contact your network administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are availabe in the system event log. So i asked my mate on msn (considers himself a computer genius) what to do and he convinced me to type ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew . Now my laptop wont connect aven through by 3 dongle anyone have any ideas no how to sort this mess out?
Old 17 August 2008, 09:16 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
today i bought a wireless router and the desktop/xbox/wii all work fine but the laptop kept displaying this message... Another computer no this network has the same ip address as this computer. Contact your network administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are availabe in the system event log. So i asked my mate on msn (considers himself a computer genius) what to do and he convinced me to type ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew . Now my laptop wont connect aven through by 3 dongle anyone have any ideas no how to sort this mess out?
Type IPconfig in the command prompt and see what it reports the IP as .. it should at least give you an error !

Sound like it has a static IP assigned.

Network connections, right click on the connection icon of the wireless, look for TCP/IP in the list and double click it .. make sure everything is set to obtain auto ! then restart the PC to be safe..

Let us know what IPconfig reports
Old 18 August 2008, 12:17 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats happened is one of your older devices are using the same IP address as the Laptop. You need to enable DHCP on the laptop, allowing the routers DHCP to issue IP addresses. Its a very common problem, but alas very simple to rectify.

How to use automatic TCP/IP addressing without a DHCP server

This may help understand some issues regarding manual IP conflicts.

Am assuming it XP, but Vista is similar to rectify.

The same IP address is assigned to multiple Windows XP client computers

This may also be as useful.

Last edited by scoobz72; 18 August 2008 at 12:21 PM.