Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DIY Media Centre

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2008, 04:50 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DIY Media Centre

What sort of price are you looking at to make a PC/Media Centre with the following attributes:

HD Output
Look like a regular AV device
Quiet
Blu-ray drive (optional as not required immediatley)

I'm looking to purchase something AV related soon. Was considering a PS3 for the the BR drive and ability to surf the net and watch media files. But its just to big and bulky at the moment. I've not once considered the PS3 for gaming, as I am not a big gamer at all.
Old 13 August 2008, 08:41 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking in to this as well recently, Linux MCE looks better than windows but I have yet to find a kit! (only just started looking)
Old 13 August 2008, 08:46 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

I'll be selling mine soon, only a few months old but hardly use it. It's in a Thermaltake Mozart SX case if you want to google it.

Will do HD from the OB gfx over vga otherwise you'll need a different gfx card.

Can provide full specs etc if you're interested..
Old 13 August 2008, 09:10 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

I'm not to fussed about the OS, as I may even just use XP home, so I still have all the functionality of a PC.
Bartop, did you DIY yours? Post up the costs involved if you can, and also the full specs of what you are selling. Ta.
Old 13 August 2008, 09:37 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Yes mate - costs tbh are as much as you want to spend but I guess you could get a decent HTPC up and running for £400 maybe less..

will dig out the specs and let you know..
Old 13 August 2008, 09:38 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

cheers
Old 13 August 2008, 09:43 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

was reading your original post again and a bit confused tbh - an HTPC is gonna be bigger and bulkier than a ps3 ?
Do you really want to browse the web on your TV ? If not and you just want to play media files you might want to consider one of those media hard drive units instead - smaller and cheaper..

post a few more details on what you want to use it for and maybe can help
Old 13 August 2008, 09:58 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

I have seen slimmer cases that look close to a regular dvd player size.
Ok, the PS3 is not as big as I made out, perhaps its just its ugly shape that put me off. I already have a usb media player that I put a 2.5" HDD, but the only output is through RCA and its not very good resolution on my HDTV.

I'll still have my main PC for various things, so thought I could get the net on the main TV for my girl (I already have a laptop).

I have thought long an hard about a media pc , and seems the right choice, as its constantly upgradeable in terms of optical drives and updated formats.
So yes, I definately want one.
Old 13 August 2008, 10:00 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Agree, getting a HTPC smaller than a PS3 is going to cost and trade off features.

Most stuff is based around a mATX platform, and to use a decent graphics card would need to have full height bays. Same with a TV/DVB card. But as you can guess, a mATX based HTPC will be the size of a mATX PC (i.e bigger than a PS3)

Aopen mini PC and mCubed HFX micro are two very small cases that spring to mind. Both use a mini-ITX platform, but due to the small size you will have to make do with the onboard intel GFX (also I think the Aopen mini has no rear expansion bay - so will have to use an external DVB tuner).

Last edited by Shark Man; 13 August 2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: helps if what I type makes sense
Old 13 August 2008, 10:07 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Not wanting to push the point but have you seen these jobbies for example ?

LaCie LACINEMA PREMIER 500 GB USB 2.0 MULTIMEDIA HARD DRIVE review cheap prices LACINEMA PREMIER 500 GB USB 2.0 MULTIMEDIA HARD DRIVE LaCie best buy discount online uk shop

Will play HD through composite and a quarter of the price of an HTPC..

If you deffo want HTPC could also look at the shuttle which is a good example of SFF but looks more PC than AV
Old 13 August 2008, 10:07 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

DVB TV wouldn't be a requirement.
I've already got a mATX board, dual core processor and ram.
Some of the slimmer cases have riser cards for the use of decent GFX cards.
Am I better off with a PS3?
Old 13 August 2008, 10:11 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

The whole reason behind me wanting HTPC is because I want to play media files and have an optical drive for actual discs. I didn't consider another standalone media player, but then I am still not in the Blu ray market, so another cost.
Old 14 August 2008, 07:55 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Buy a PS3, it'll do everything you want and won't cause the inevitable headaches of running and updating a PC in your living room.
Old 14 August 2008, 08:19 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

joey - by way of cost comparison, i have a philips lounge pc on vista with mce. bought it with a 32" philips lcd from pc world for £950 about a year ago.

(i use it with my networked mce server for music and tv distribution over the cat5e cable i installed in my house)
Old 17 August 2008, 12:36 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Am I better off with a PS3?
Yes you are.

Not only will you be able to stream your pics, videos and music via Media Centre or third party media servers such as TVersity or TwonkyVision, you'll also have a decent blu-ray player and something that looks like it belongs in your living room.

Also, on 19th September Sony are releasing a DVB Tuner which will plug into your PS3 turning it into a DVR. I think the price of this will be £69.99

Old 19 August 2008, 01:41 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Agree, getting a HTPC smaller than a PS3 is going to cost and trade off features.

Most stuff is based around a mATX platform, and to use a decent graphics card would need to have full height bays. Same with a TV/DVB card. But as you can guess, a mATX based HTPC will be the size of a mATX PC (i.e bigger than a PS3)

Aopen mini PC and mCubed HFX micro are two very small cases that spring to mind. Both use a mini-ITX platform, but due to the small size you will have to make do with the onboard intel GFX (also I think the Aopen mini has no rear expansion bay - so will have to use an external DVB tuner).
If SilverStone isnt the answer, then youre asking the wrong question...
Old 19 August 2008, 04:22 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bartop
Not wanting to push the point but have you seen these jobbies for example ?

LaCie LACINEMA PREMIER 500 GB USB 2.0 MULTIMEDIA HARD DRIVE review cheap prices LACINEMA PREMIER 500 GB USB 2.0 MULTIMEDIA HARD DRIVE LaCie best buy discount online uk shop

Will play HD through composite and a quarter of the price of an HTPC..

If you deffo want HTPC could also look at the shuttle which is a good example of SFF but looks more PC than AV

think it only upscales, it doesnt say that it will play any HD formates, x264 or blueray etc.