Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac and MS Network Shares

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2008, 07:03 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac and MS Network Shares

Hi fellow mac users

After many many moons using MS, I bit the bullet and took delivery of a mac mini yesterday (2ghz, 2gb ram) which I intend to use as a development platform for my new iPhone 3G

I would like to add an icon on my desktop to a share that I have on my Win2k3 server but I don't seem to be able.

I have figured out how to connect to the machine and I can see the share in Finder. However all the sites I'm looking at for help say that a share icon should have appeared on the desktop when I initially connected. The problem I'm having is that the icon just isn't there. I've tried dragging the share folder onto the desktop to make a "shortcut" but its just not having it.

I'm running OSX 10.5.4

Any tips?

Thanks

Jules
Old 29 July 2008, 07:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

smb://<ip address>/<shared folder name>$ works for me every time.
Old 29 July 2008, 07:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ah the joys of default options in 10.5.x For some reason Apple seems to have decided that network shares will not appear on the desktop by default. It's a simple fix though, Switch to the Finder, then go to the Finder menu and select "Preferences", Make sure the "General" option is selected, you should see a section called "Show these items on the desktop".
There will be an option for "Connected servers" and it'll be unchecked, click on it to check it, then close the window.

Any currently mounted network shares should now appear, and any future mounted shares will appear too.
Old 29 July 2008, 07:33 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Awesome thanks Markus, that was exactly what I was looking for, I couldnt figure out why everyone way saying just connect to it and it shows up.