Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Games For Windows Now Free

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2008, 11:58 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Games For Windows Now Free

As per title.

Games for Windows - Live Goes Totally Free
>> From Edge Magazine - Video Games, Game News, and Gaming Jobs | Edge Online:

During Microsoft's Gamefest 2008 in Seattle on Tuesday, the company seemed to finally answer year-old criticisms about its pricing strategy for Games for Windows - Live.

Microsoft said that it would no longer be charging for "premium" online features in Games for Windows - Live titles, such as TrueSkill matchmaking, cross-platform gameplay and multiplayer achievements.

The change takes effect immediately for all existing and future Games for Windows - Live titles.
Full Story: Edge Magazine - Video Games, Game News, and Gaming Jobs | Edge Online
Old 23 July 2008, 01:27 PM
Stefanie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isnt this shafting xbox users again, wheres the incentive to go xbox when theres now less exclusiveness and pcs get services/content free?
Old 23 July 2008, 01:54 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stefanie
isnt this shafting xbox users again, wheres the incentive to go xbox when theres now less exclusiveness and pcs get services/content free?
Yup.

Problem was that MS tried to introduce pricing into a PC market where everyone else was doing it for free (MMOs aside).

360 is slightly different; there is no other option to get your 360 gaming kicks other than through live.

Having said that, although MS will cling onto to Live pricing for dear life, I think it is only a matte rof time before they are forced to stop charging for it.
Old 23 July 2008, 02:13 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Having said that, although MS will cling onto to Live pricing for dear life, I think it is only a matte rof time before they are forced to stop charging for it.
Aye, or at least start reducing the price yearly
Old 23 July 2008, 02:17 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

They should just put a months free live in each game for the 360. If you're buying 12 games a year MS are making their money so everybody wins.
Old 23 July 2008, 02:23 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stefanie
wheres the incentive to go xbox when theres now less exclusiveness and pcs get services/content free?
Erm...
  • Price of the machine to start with (you can buy a 360 for less than the price of a semi-decent PC graphics card)
  • A vastly larger selection of games
  • The ability to play game on my 42"HD TV and surround setup whilst sat on a comfy sofa in the living room.
  • You don't have to spend hours downloading / installing latest drivers or patches for the game etc and then keeping your fingers crossed that it's going to work
  • You don't have to upgrade the machine almost every time a new game comes out.
  • Nicely integrated online services that are consistent from game to game, (and without adverts)
Other than that, I can't see why people would want a console over a PC
Old 23 July 2008, 04:19 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

*cough* RROD *cough*

Better graphics
Better game variety
Don't *have* to purchase games.
Torrents

Last edited by BlkKnight; 23 July 2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 23 July 2008, 04:20 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

*cough* warranty *cough*
Old 23 July 2008, 04:40 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

*looks around for cough syrup*
Old 23 July 2008, 05:07 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

My pc components have a warranty too. 5 years on some parts
Old 23 July 2008, 05:14 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

So what. You were stating that the RROD is an issue. It's not really any more anyway since the redesigns, and for the older machines, they are covered by warranty

Better graphics
Only if you spend silly money on a graphics card and processor.

Better game variety
Don't make me laugh. Show me where the PC has better game variety than the 360 or PS3 then. I used to play loads of PC games, but I think I've only bought two in the last year. Bought far to many 360 and PS3 games though (probably 40 or 50 in the last year)

Don't *have* to purchase games. Torrents
So you are advocating software piracy as a good gaming solution ?

PCs are good for lots of things, but gaming is not one of them these days unless you have bottomless pockets and are satisfied with playing only one or two games.
Old 23 July 2008, 06:45 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

You can get a decent gaming rig for about £500.00. Spend £100 less and you get something which will be on a par to the PS3.

Variety is horses for courses. I can't think of any games on the console that you won't be able to play on the PC and vis-versa. In many respectes they are about the same.

However I can't think of many RTS's or MMORPG's on the consoles that are on a par with WoW Eve C&C. RTS's played through a joy pad is just painful.

Call me old school, but I find playing 1st person games through a Keyboard & mouse infinitely easier than through a joy-pad.

Yes the pirating of games was a silly comment. BUT the games on a PC tend to be 2/3 the price of console games.
Old 24 July 2008, 09:09 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

god the pc brigade (all 2 of them ) are a bigger pain then the ps3 brigade (all 3 of them )

Old 24 July 2008, 10:00 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

For proper car racing/flight sim'ing you need a PC

(that's 3 all )
Old 28 July 2008, 05:34 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Rumour: Some games playable online using XBL Silver
Written Monday, July 28, 2008 by Joe Robinson

Following scattered reports across several forums, including x360a, it is now being hinted that some games are now playable for free over Xbox Live.
Microsoft has recently stopped their paid subscription service for all Games for Windows Live features, which includes cross platform online play. Because of this, cross-platform titles Lost Planet: Colonies, Shadowrun, and Universe at War have now been reported to have free online play on the 360.
Whether this is deliberate or simply a knock-on effect is unclear at this point, as Microsoft has yet to comment. This is also being treated as a rumour for the time being, as it is only 3 titles, and there was an Xbox Live weekend just recently that made every game playable for free.
Posted on various sites.
Old 28 July 2008, 06:08 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

C'mon MS, do it
Old 29 July 2008, 10:09 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

booooooo

Microsoft has informed Shacknews that Xbox Live Silver members will only have free multiplayer access to select cross-platform titles--Universe at War, Shadowrun and Lost Planet: Colonies Edition--until the next system update arrives this fall.

"For a limited time, we are offering free online multiplayer on Xbox 360/Games for Windows titles that offer LIVE cross platform play," a representative explained. "This promotion won't last, so we encourage everyone to take advantage of it while they can."

The representative concluded that, "When the new Xbox experience launches this fall all multiplayer gaming on Xbox 360 will be for Gold members only."
Full Story: Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads