Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New phone thoughts requested

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2008, 05:13 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New phone thoughts requested

I've just received my new SE C920. Can't complain about it. So far to Sony Ericsson.

This has got me thinking about things though. I do not feel like the phone hasn't made any real advancements over the last few years. I think I'm going to return it and continue with my K800 which does it's job.

I've started looking into other handsets but after trying the LG Viewty I don't really trust other manufacturers away from SE and Nokia.

My question is this. What is out there representing a leap in terms of tech and apps? A handset with GPS sound like a good idea but outside of the car (tom tom) does it really have much use?

So far I've begun looking at the

N95 - Over a year old now
Iphone 3G - Is it really any good?
SE W960 - More of the same from SE?

I'm by no means a technical ace but do like my gadgets. Line rental isn't a big issue as I can claim a fair chunk of it back. I'm with T-Mobile atm but not really impressed with their phone line up.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Esh
Old 16 July 2008, 05:24 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

N96 in August?
Old 16 July 2008, 05:42 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Or the HTC diamond, I'm stuck between this one or the N96 ???
Old 16 July 2008, 06:39 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I still can't fathom how anyone can consider anything other than the iPhone if they're not tied to a provider.
Old 16 July 2008, 06:48 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I still can't fathom how anyone can consider anything other than the iPhone if they're not tied to a provider.

I have tried the iphone and I prefer the HTC, the only thing the iphone does better over other quality phones is the internet
Old 16 July 2008, 06:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The internet is a quite large 'only' but there's still space for more. I'm going to throw in Operating System and Applications as well.
Old 16 July 2008, 07:59 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

The internet is a quite large 'only' but there's still space for more. I'm going to throw in Operating System and Applications as well.

What about even larger ?? Phone reception??? MY HTC gets reception where the iphone just err .......
Old 16 July 2008, 08:21 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your input.

So O2 for the Iphone or Orange for the HTC?

Apart from the internet of which I am a frequent user are there any additional pro's and con's for each phone?

Are the touch screens accurate enough for email, sms?
Old 16 July 2008, 08:40 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I am on 02 and used the internet loads, there is no phone out there that beats the iphone for that but others do well and the new HTC diamond is matching but on a smaller screen/phone
Old 16 July 2008, 11:08 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I can't fathom why you'd want one? The exclusion of messaging stuff is a big drawback for me, and I can't use any of the software I use on my N95 (and there seems to be no equivalent from Apple). All style over substance from what I've seen so far...
Old 16 July 2008, 11:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Iain Young
The exclusion of messaging stuff is a big drawback for me
You mean MMS? Well I tell you what, you stick with a 1990's picture message while I publish galleries online.

As for software, it's been less than a week and there's already applications available that you can only whistle for, all beautifully organised and available from the phone or desktop.
Old 17 July 2008, 10:37 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

You mean MMS? Well I tell you what, you stick with a 1990's picture message while I publish galleries online.

As for software, it's been less than a week and there's already applications available that you can only whistle for, all beautifully organised and available from the phone or desktop.
But at the moment if you have too many apps it'll cripple your sync times - its a known bug.

Have to say I'm quite taken with the iPhone, I'm still in the fiddling about stage working out what it can / can't do - MMS is a strange ommision, no doubt it'll be added at some point though...
Old 17 July 2008, 10:50 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But you're relying on the 100 or so contacts in your phone list to be able to view those galleries on their phone
Old 17 July 2008, 11:13 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
But you're relying on the 100 or so contacts in your phone list to be able to view those galleries on their phone
Precisely. Nobody I know owns an iphone, so without MMS I am unable to send them messages etc whilst on holiday. Something that our family does all the time to keep in touch etc whilst away. Internet is all well and good, but the exclusion of MMS means that the phone is useless for me.

Funny, I thought the iphone had been out a lot longer than that. It's only the v2 version that has been out a week As already mentioned, I have quite a few apps which I run on the N95 which simply are not available on the iphone, (and there don't seem to be alternatives). Stuff like English->German->French dictionaries for example...

N95 might not be as stylish as the iphone, and it's certainly not perfect, but it's one hell of a lot more useful

iphone = style over substance from what I've seen so far...

Last edited by Iain Young; 17 July 2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 17 July 2008, 11:35 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Because they can get a much better phone for free?

A better multimedia device that has a phone? not a chance - iPhone is a beauty - But if you want a "phone", then you would have to have more money than sense to go for iPhone.
Old 17 July 2008, 12:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Iain,
What applications do you have on the N95 that you'd like to see on the iPhone?

You are correct, the original device has been out for a while, but Apple did not allow third party apps to be installed on it. It's only since the v2.0 software came out that they released the App Store. Prior to this the only way to install apps was, I believe, to jailbreak the phone, something many were not comfortable doing, regardless of how easy it can be.

v2.0.1 software has been spotted in the wild (in site access logs), so an update will be coming, and there is a rumor that MMS may well be in this update, which would be nice.
Old 17 July 2008, 01:16 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

The ones I probably use the most are language translation tools (I use slovoed on the N95). Lets me look up stuff in multiple different languages and translate to english (and vice versa). If the iphone had stuff like that, and MMS, then I might be tempted...
Old 17 July 2008, 03:17 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

The ones I probably use the most are language translation tools (I use slovoed on the N95). Lets me look up stuff in multiple different languages and translate to english (and vice versa). If the iphone had stuff like that, and MMS, then I might be tempted...
It does in the App store - I can remember seeing French, German, Spanish, Italian & Mandarin at least - all free too IIRC.

Just checked using my iPhone 3G ( ) there's also other you have to pay for including Japanese, Portuguese & Canonese...

Last edited by messiah; 17 July 2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 17 July 2008, 03:38 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Have a look at this. It *will* open iTunes, or try to, thought I'd mention it before you click. Not sure if something like that would equate to what you have on the N95, plus it is an additional purchase.

Part of the reason I asked is that I'm interested to know what apps people would want on the iPhone, as a good friend of mine is a developer and if there is a niche which no-one else has explored yet, he may well do.
Old 17 July 2008, 03:58 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Thanks Have a look at this. It *will* open iTunes, or try to, thought I'd mention it before you click. Not sure if something like that would equate to what you have on the N95, plus it is an additional purchase.

Part of the reason I asked is that I'm interested to know what apps people would want on the iPhone, as a good friend of mine is a developer and if there is a niche which no-one else has explored yet, he may well do.
There's no Sky+ remote record app yet.
Old 17 July 2008, 04:09 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Come on Ian, I'm sure your family don't keep in touch via MMS. At least I hope not.

Bob, the Galleries are formatted for iPhone and PC's, most if not all of the beautifully organised and synchronised contacts in my iPhone have email and web access.

Last edited by JackClark; 17 July 2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 17 July 2008, 05:02 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That link doesn't work for me Markus. Just whirs the hard disk for a bit and does nothing else. If there is a english->german->etc dictionary available however, that makes it a bit more attractive.

Come on Ian, I'm sure your family don't keep in touch via MMS. At least I hope not.
We do when we are on holiday. We tend to go to very rural places with no internet access anywhere. MMS is the only option...

p.s. Not interested in galleries. If I want to post photos to the web, I'll do it from my PC at home, with pictures taken with a proper camera
Old 17 July 2008, 05:18 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I think Iain's turning, trouble is if he gets one it's bound to break... 5x.

And if you can send MMS you can use the internet... slowly.
Old 17 July 2008, 05:24 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Still got six months on the N95 contract (was an 18 monther), so not turning very quickly. It's not broken yet though

If the iPhone can send and receive MMS (in a foreign country), then it may well be an option when the time comes...
Old 18 July 2008, 11:46 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I've heard the same rumour as Markus that 2.0.1 isn't too far away that may include MMS.

Think the main reason for the update though is to fix some problems with syncing apps - it takes longer and longer the more apps you have installed, itunes doesnt go the same route as it does with music where it only updates music that has been added, seems more like an itunes problem than an iphone problem though...
Old 20 July 2008, 12:45 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Markus
Does he do apps for the Sammy U600 ?
Old 20 July 2008, 12:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much every mobile co has access to the HTC series, O2 call theirs the orbit 2 and stellar for instance, voda call theirs something different and same with t mob.
These are definately getting better, but depends on what you want to do with them?

Tony
Old 21 July 2008, 12:30 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Does he do apps for the Sammy U600 ?
No, iPhone only as he's a freelance macintosh software engineer.
Old 21 July 2008, 10:39 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

I must say that the Iphone looks very impresive at face value. Popped into a store in Wigan (helpful staff) and was taken through the phone in a basic phone shop demo kind of way.

Major drawback that that grates is the lack of MMS. My SE K800 can mms and surf the net, play vids on youtube etc. Yes I see it as quite an advance on my current phone but I'd like to see the HTC Diamond via Orange before I make my decision. Its sold out atm which means by the time I'm back from my hols the N96 may well be out.

Another drawbck was the lack of being able to xfer my contact via blue tooth. Anyone got a work around. I've got many, many multiple contacts and this will be a bit PITA to move.

Interesting to read about the various apps you are all going over but I have tried to keeps things relatively simple: Phone, cam, MMS, GPS and the internet......Thus far.

Thanks for your replies!!

Esh

Quick Reply: New phone thoughts requested