Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Aol, Bethere Broadband speeds. heeeeelp please.

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2008, 04:14 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aol, Bethere Broadband speeds. heeeeelp please.

I posted about my problems with AOL a couple of weeks back and based on the feedback from then I am considering moving to Bethere.

Line speeds fluctuating between 200kb to 1.6meg, frequent line drops and AOL browser just freezing for periods of time.

AOL say there is nothing wrong. They tested the line and say it is ok but the max speed is tested at 0.5meg and blame BT's line. Don't explain why it freezes or line drops and say my router isnt supported, its a Netgear DG834GT and they dont support the GT.

BT say my line is tested max 0.5meg.

I use these 2 speed testers

Intel

and

Speedtest

and the results vary between 200kb and 1.6meg through AOL although, if I test from within IE its generally very stable around 1.9meg.

I rang Bethere and they tested my line and estimate my line speed would be approximately 3meg if I go with them.

Any thoughts, is the estimated line speed from Bethere realistic?

Does the AOL browser affect line speed?

It was a new BT line last year and was fine until AOL servers were moved to Carphone Warehouse. I have 1 BT socket with the router direct into it via the filter.

Any help/thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mick
Old 13 July 2008, 08:16 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I was with AOL, they started out ok, but faailed to deliver there initial speed,s promised.

There attitude & approach is

If you can connect the the net, then thats there job done.

If you only get 1kb download speed thats also fine, as they use the speeds UPTO xx as another cop out clause.

Iwas told the most i could ever get on my line would be 1mb, strange as i had 2mb with my previous isp.

I bailed and went to BE, i now get 3-4mb

Mart
Old 13 July 2008, 10:28 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments. I am going to ditch AOL and go with Bethere. I am just hoping that they can get closed to the 3 meg they reckon they can get.

AOL has really gone down hill. Ive been with them for 4 years paying over the odds for a service which is just not being delivered.

Anybody else on Bethere not/getting speeds they were advised?
Old 14 July 2008, 11:24 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I can get you free installation on BE, just PM me your name & email address you wish to subscribe with (bearing in mind that your AOL one will not work after you cancel).

I was with Keme (over BT hardware). I used to connect at about 2.5-3 meg with 156K up.

With BE I get 4.5 down & 1.25 up.

I've been very happy with the service.

The new wireless router is really easy to use.

Last edited by BlkKnight; 14 July 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 15 July 2008, 09:09 AM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I was with Eclipse and got 3Mb/s average, when I switched to Be I got 11Mb/s so thats almost a 4 x improvement.

The service is good with plenty of help from their forums if you need it.
Old 15 July 2008, 10:03 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

What I found with BE is that they tend to give the lower end of the speeds possibly. They told me I should get about 10mb. I get 15mb

Sky is another good one and if you have tv with them and they have their equipment in the exchange then you can get their unlimited package for £10 p month with no restrictions