Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 - online speeds needed for gaming

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2008, 11:02 AM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3 - online speeds needed for gaming

Is there a minimum (or recommended) broadband line speed for online gaming with the PS3?
Our poor Tiscali connection doesn’t seem to be able to keep up with online play.
Old 27 June 2008, 11:29 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I've got a 20Mb cable connection and it doesn't seem to keep up with online play on the PS3 either. Think it's something to do with the PSN rather than the net connection (the xbox and pc are fine on the same connection)...
Old 27 June 2008, 05:14 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

The PS3 works fine at a mates house using his slightly faster broadband, so I’m just trying to establish if there’s a minimum requirement line speed that I can request from Tiscali (or from another service provider if I change).
Old 27 June 2008, 05:27 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

A standard 512k down/128k up 'should' technically be sufficient.

Perhaps run a speed test on your line?
Old 27 June 2008, 05:44 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Cheers DJ.
It’s a 2 Meg line and on the thinkbroadband speedtest its usually running around 475Kbps (0.5M) Down and 239Kbps (0.2) Up at the PC via ethernet.

Factor in the Wireless router showing between 65~75% signal strength at the PS3 and the gameplay occasionally blips.
Old 27 June 2008, 05:53 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Your download speed is certainly pretty low for what you're paying for. Like you say, with wireless fluctuations added into the mix the PS3 isn't getting much stable bandwidth to work with.

I'd contact my ISP about the speeds being provided and also perhaps consider using an ethernet cable from the PS3 direct to the router. I'd first try moving the router within cabling distance of the PS3 and seeing if it improves the situation.
Old 27 June 2008, 05:54 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I've got a 20Mb cable connection and it doesn't seem to keep up with online play on the PS3 either. Think it's something to do with the PSN rather than the net connection (the xbox and pc are fine on the same connection)...
Something to do with your ISP perhaps? I have no problems and am running at a far slower speed (up to 8m connection, but hovers around 5-6m).

A friend of mine runs on a 512 line and he has no problems either.

Geezer

Trending Topics

Old 27 June 2008, 06:01 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Your download speed is certainly pretty low for what you're paying for. Like you say, with wireless fluctuations added into the mix the PS3 isn't getting much stable bandwidth to work with.

I'd contact my ISP about the speeds being provided and also perhaps consider using an ethernet cable from the PS3 direct to the router. I'd first try moving the router within cabling distance of the PS3 and seeing if it improves the situation.

Thanks again DJ
I’m looking at placing the PS3 next to the router for a test and see what happens.

I’m also in the process of chasing Tiscali (I think that’s going to take some pursuing!) about the slow line speed and was just wondering what others peoples experiences of line speed were with regards to the PS3 so I can have some sort of benchmark that I need Tiscali to work to.
Old 27 June 2008, 07:45 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Something to do with your ISP perhaps? I have no problems and am running at a far slower speed (up to 8m connection, but hovers around 5-6m).

A friend of mine runs on a 512 line and he has no problems either.

Geezer
Dunno. It's Virgin Media Cable 20mb. As I said, xbox live and pc gaming stuff is fine. The PS3 is dog slow though (almost unusable most of the time).

Not that worried because I hardly ever use it, but it is annoying