Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

This should cheer up someone called markus

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2008, 12:55 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default This should cheer up someone called markus

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/19/...ans-in-canada/
Old 19 June 2008, 12:56 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol!!
Old 19 June 2008, 03:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Currently it's still unconfirmed, but the wording is very similar to the AT&T spec thing they put out a short time ago.

As for cheering me up, well, depends on the price point, seems that you will be required to have a data plan, the cheapest being $30 per month for unlimited data, or so the article states (and I wonder how limited unlimited is). So I'd need to add that to my existing voice plan, which is $25 (the lowest I can get I think). Typical monthly total including tax for my current setup is $40, so I'd be up to $70 per month if that data plan pricing is correct.

That is a little too much to be honest, especially considering I don't actually make that many phone calls, and yes, I would use the browsing aspect of the phone, but enough to warrant an additional $30 a month? I don't think so.

There is also the fact of how much it will cost me to get a 3G. I'm not currently eligible for a handset upgrade, so I cannot go that route, so I may have to pay more for the iPhone, plus there is the question about what happens with my existing contract? Do I have to cancel it and pay a fee, and then sign up for another 3 year contract to get the iPhone, or is there some kind of cross-grade available? I've emailed Rogers about this, so we'll see what they say.

I'm hoping that there might be a lower data plan, say $10 for 1GB per month, as that would be acceptable to me, plus some cross-grade deals for existing customers wishing to switch to the 3G.

It's a shame that there won't be a single plan as with the original iPhone, by that I mean a combined voice/data plan for say $40, due to there being extra charges to use the 3G network.

Miserable git aren't I?

Last edited by Markus; 19 June 2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 19 June 2008, 04:38 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Markus

Miserable git aren't I?
in a word...yes
Old 20 June 2008, 01:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

So, my contract expires in 2011, thus as it's more than 20 months away, I'd face an early cancellation fee of $400, which I'd say is a little steep.

Still no legit info on new subscriber price plans, let alone the qualifications for existing subscribers. Sadly, as they are serious money grabbing buggers, I can see them having no special deals for existing users, thus forcing people to cancel existing contracts and signing new ones. If that's the case then I'd be looking at $400 ECF, then $199 - $299 for the phone, and at least $70 per month for the plan, for 3 years. Hmm, doesn't sound too good of a deal to me.