Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

FFox 3 is out

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2008, 08:14 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up FFox 3 is out

As above
Old 17 June 2008, 08:20 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Downloading now, any big changes?
Old 17 June 2008, 10:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Looks quite nice on Leopard. The auto-complete wasn't working for me though, probably as I think I'd tweaked a few things previously. If it's not working for you then try the following:

type "about:config" into the URL bar, hit return, then dismiss the warning.

type "browser.urlbar" into the filter and you'll see various options. The ones you're looking for are:

browser.url.autoFill which you need to set to "true" (if it's not present you'll nee to add it, and take note of the capital F in autoFill)

browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped which you need to set to "false". If you have it set to true then autocomplete won't search the history and bookmarks for previous entries.
Old 17 June 2008, 10:49 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Download it and help set a world record...
Spread Firefox | Download Day 2008

Oh and it's a nice browser too

Description of changes here: Firefox web browser | Features: Faster, more secure, & customizable | Mozilla Europe

Last edited by swampster; 17 June 2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 17 June 2008, 11:51 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.Manchester
Downloading now, any big changes?
Lots of little tweaks, the best 'new' feature is the vastly improved addy bar n the bookmarks. One click bookmark adding and editing, you can search on previously visited sites by typing part of the address in the addy bar to, which gives u a choice list, quite nice. Better RAM usage, nicer themes etc.
Old 18 June 2008, 12:13 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Drop down menus still look a bit poo on the Mac but other than that it's getting close to the looks and speed of Safari.
Old 18 June 2008, 12:27 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TBH they cheapened themselves with that download record viral spam crap, everybody posting on forums you must download this blah blah turns people away, ff is a good product but for me i'm not arsed, i'll stick with IE7, i downloaded that because i wanted to, not to break any ****ty pointless record, i would of downloaded ff3 but not after that crap marketing ****e

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2008, 08:10 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
TBH they cheapened themselves with that download record viral spam crap, everybody posting on forums you must download this blah blah turns people away, ff is a good product but for me i'm not arsed, i'll stick with IE7, i downloaded that because i wanted to, not to break any ****ty pointless record, i would of downloaded ff3 but not after that crap marketing ****e
Whats that about cutting your own nose off....

Anyway, for the first time with a FF upgrade - I'm not impressed. Google Maps doesn't work for me and a few other sites don't display correctly.

I don't seem to have the almost-legendary speed increases and one of my favourite add-ons (tab mix plus) won't work with it.
Old 18 June 2008, 10:01 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

think i tried the beta, but adblocker would not work with it so i went back to the old one
Old 18 June 2008, 01:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jowl,
Are you talking about the Mac version of FF3? If so, I've tried google maps, albeit maps.google.ca and it seems to bring it up without issue.

**edit**
Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon. After scrolling about a bit more it does seem to display blank information, then after about 20 seconds it fills the maps in, it's usually quicker than that though.

Last edited by Markus; 18 June 2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 18 June 2008, 05:43 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Mine's really quick - happy bunny so far

Dan
Old 18 June 2008, 06:30 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Jowl,
Are you talking about the Mac version of FF3? If so, I've tried google maps, albeit maps.google.ca and it seems to bring it up without issue.

**edit**
Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon. After scrolling about a bit more it does seem to display blank information, then after about 20 seconds it fills the maps in, it's usually quicker than that though.
This was actually on windows - haven't tried it on my Macs yet. but thanks.
Old 18 June 2008, 07:43 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Adblocker works fine. If ffox3 decides somethin isnt compatible, but it will actually work, then just turn off the compatibility checking;

In about:config
add extensions.checkcompatibility as boolean set to false, restart ffox.
Old 18 June 2008, 09:35 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Turned out that it was a Skype extension that broke Google Maps. Strange.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its so much quicker, hows that work then ?
Old 19 June 2008, 12:14 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Just uninstalled it and gone back to V2

didn't like the guessing website part & another menu bar

the biggest gripe was the downloads, gone is the remove delete option added to each file in V2, and its insistence on asking if every file was ok to use despite ticking the box to say yes it was, dont ask me again.

Mart
Old 19 June 2008, 12:28 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jowl
Whats that about cutting your own nose off....
Not at all, IE7 works fine for me, maybe if FF had given me a list of good reasons to upgrade (yes it's burried deep in the site somewhere but i shouldnt have to go digging past the tripe to find it) instead of pushing the hey make us worldrecord breakers just because crap. (TBH I think it's more of an ego boost, they seem to think they are the best)

And whoever deemed my previous post negative, get a life and lighten up, if all you ff fanboys think it's as good as you say it is then they shouldnt need that cheap marketing scam
Old 19 June 2008, 01:26 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Its so much quicker, hows that work then ?
It has a new rendering engine, and much better memory management apparently.. I guess that's probably something to do with it...

Not at all, IE7 works fine for me, maybe if FF had given me a list of good reasons to upgrade (yes it's burried deep in the site somewhere but i shouldnt have to go digging past the tripe to find it) instead of pushing the hey make us worldrecord breakers just because crap. (TBH I think it's more of an ego boost, they seem to think they are the best)
Right you don't HAVE to go through the Spreadfirefox site... that is simply a fan driven marketing tool which incidentally has ALWAYS been there since Firefox was first released as a beta, it's not anything new!

Oh and they DON'T make you go through hoops to find out info/get the software. They will practically spoon feed you if you are too lazy to actually do a little research...

simply type getfirefox.com into your browser, and it will even take you to a page that's for a version of the browser that's localised for you, without any intervention. All the info you need is available starting from that page, as is a direct download.. oh and no Windows Genuine Advantage hoops to jump through either

And whoever deemed my previous post negative, get a life and lighten up, if all you ff fanboys think it's as good as you say it is then they shouldnt need that cheap marketing scam
Wasn't me, but... cheap marketing scam? Or simply clever marketing? As Mozilla doesn't have the multi-billion $$$ resources of Microsoft or the ability to bundle the browser in with the O/S off the shelf it has to rely on other methods of reaching a vast audience. Firefox's abilities and qualities do that in the main for the 'tech savvy' but it's for the masses that think Internet Explorer is the Internet that they're vying for and that they have to use more imaginative or 'cheap' methods to attract. I say good on them for trying...

Last edited by swampster; 19 June 2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 19 June 2008, 07:23 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Got to say that it's a nice release. I'm an avid Opera user (have been since it came out donkeys ago) and whilst had a month with FF2 ages ago I quickly switched back to Opera.

Been using FF3 for a couple days now and think I might stick with it. Seems to be as quick - as sometimes quicker - as Opera.
Old 19 June 2008, 08:46 AM
john_s
Scooby Regular

It seems OK to me so far.

The URL guessing address bar seems to take a couple of visits to a site to figure out which page you want, but after that couple of visits, it seems to get it.
Old 19 June 2008, 09:55 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

GrApple - Aronnax`s Firefox Themes that's better.
Old 19 June 2008, 10:14 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ahh yes, i remember, it had big ****ty cartoon buttons as well, knew i had another reason for going back to the old one
Old 19 June 2008, 01:12 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Hmm, a security firm has already found flaws in the software, (all it takes is a click on a booby trapped link and you've handed over control of your pc).
Old 19 June 2008, 01:46 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Hmm, a security firm has already found flaws in the software, (all it takes is a click on a booby trapped link and you've handed over control of your pc).
Makes me laugh... "they" have found a vulnerability already, they almost certainly haven't just found it... was probably found during the beta releases, and instead of informing the devs at the time so it could be fixed.. have sat on it until release date, so they could gain some kind of 'cred'.

Just reading about it... seems almost a certainty that the bug was known about prior to release, since it affects FF2 as well. Some glory seeking going on here methinks..

Last edited by swampster; 19 June 2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 19 June 2008, 01:48 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Perhaps, but it still doesn't alter the fact that there are some nasty holes in the software
Old 19 June 2008, 02:14 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Very true.. it's a bit disappointing... but no worse than IE7
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.x - Vulnerability Report - Secunia
Mozilla Firefox 3.x - Vulnerability Report - Secunia

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.x - Vulnerability Report - Secunia
Old 19 June 2008, 02:37 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Who said it was? Both as good/bad as each other
Old 19 June 2008, 04:09 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I seem to have had lots of random crashes with FF on my work PC (XP) and many more randoms on my home Vista 64 machine.

Hope this sorts those problems out.
Old 19 June 2008, 04:50 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Well so far, I'm finding it to be pretty good. rendering is much quicker, found a few quirks with some sites, my work intranet for one..lol

Like the new address bar... and it's autocomplete thingy... it even finds stuff that are in the page title history as opposed to just the URL history... So for example for this thread, if I start to type FFox 3 is... etc it finds it.. nice touch.

I don't think anything is particularly revolutionary.. but then, what revolution can we expect from a browser, it seems to have evolved with some nice touches tho IMO.
Old 20 June 2008, 11:28 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

edited....as i got it sorted

Last edited by wwp8; 20 June 2008 at 11:34 PM.

Quick Reply: FFox 3 is out