Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPod/iTunes to new PC

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2008, 12:50 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod/iTunes to new PC

Hi, just had my swanky new PC delivered, woohoo.

Anyway, I want to move my exising iTunes mp3 collection (all in one folder in my current PC etc.) and also associate my iPod with the new PC so I can make the old PC redundant.

Not seen a clear instructions on itunes website or anywhere else. many only tell you how to move itunes but not ipod, authorising accounts etc..

Both PCs on home network, so I can copy files over that way quickest...
Old 30 May 2008, 02:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

First thing to do is to move the folder over where all your music is stored, ideally to the same path at the new location. Then install iTunes on the new PC.
Then you should be able to move your iTunes Library file over, so you can preserve playlists, play counts and such like. There should be an iTunes folder in My Documents -> My Music. Simply copy this folder over to the same location on the new PC.

Launch iTunes on the new PC and see if it picks up the library an also check a few track from various places in the list to make sure they play, this will allow you to see if it has linked things correctly.

Plug in the iPod, and it should retain whatever sync settings you previously had.

I would then try playing one of the songs you have purchased from the iTunes Music Store, as you'll be asked to authorize things, this will get the auth side of things setup. Once that works, go back to the old PC, fire up iTunes, then under one of the menus there should be a "De-authorize computer" command. Select this command and it will remove the iTunes authorization from it.

That should be all you need to do.
Old 31 May 2008, 01:33 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

If all your music is in sync with your ipod then yes..

How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer

if not and you have a higher Gb storage volume like i did, then no.

If the latter, then you will have to transfer everything then reassign/map your ipod to the new destination folder = formatting your ipod etc

But! if you can edit the XML file and map that way (there are programs that can help) you CAN do it that way, in my case, i couldn't be arsed.
Old 31 May 2008, 11:34 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Managed it.

Copied all files across home network.

Copied XML and ITL file (this file is used for the library)

Went into iTunes and had to set the iTunes music folder location (v important!).

n.b. I don't have the "let itunes look after my collection" option checked.

Authorised my new PC, ok. However could not de-authorise my old one....said invalid name/pwd although I KNOW I put the right one in... any ideas???