Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MGS4 - how long are those cut scenes!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2008, 10:04 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGS4 - how long are those cut scenes!!!!

We know the Metal Gear Solid series is famous for its long cut-scenes, but this tops everything! Metal Gear Solid 4, the latest instalment in Hideo Kojima's seminal stealth series, has cut-scenes (note the plural) that approach the 90 minutes mark.

For those troubled with time keeping, that's the length of a feature film.

The news comes from PSW magazine, who's been and finished MGS4, 90-minute cut-scenes and all. We were expecting long story sequences (MGS2 approached the 45 minute mark in one) but an hour and a half of cinematics was unexpected.

The good news is that you can now skip or pause the scenes.Hands up though, how many of you are actually going to sit through the full 90 minutes?

"MGS4's story is massive. The videogame equivalent of all three Godfather movies on one disc," says the mag.

"As you'd expect, you'll spend a lot of time watching cut-scenes, so if you found previous games' story exposition laborious, then you'd better find yourself a nice cushion and plenty of teabags in readiness for MGS4's.

"They can be skipped, but you'll be missing out on some of the finally crafted examples of FMV footage anywhere in gaming," the article boldly proclaims.

Another game I won't be getting for the PS3 then. Not got the patience to sit through 90 minute cut scenes (I want to play games, not watch a dodgy rendered movie). I've got a feeling this machine is destined to become nothing more than a blu-ray player in my house. If this is what blu-ray is doing for gaming, they can keep it....
Old 23 May 2008, 10:14 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

90 minutes at a time? or 90 minutes of cut scenes in total?
Old 23 May 2008, 10:16 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

90 minutes at time, and there are several of them!!
Old 23 May 2008, 10:17 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
90 minutes at a time? or 90 minutes of cut scenes in total?
At a time

This would explain why they were moaning about lack of space on the bluray disc, few gigs of game data, few hundred gigs of fmv
Old 23 May 2008, 10:31 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

LMAO I hope you can skip them then, cause if you have to sit though an hour and an half of cut scene before a mission, then die, then do you have to sit through the whole of the cut scene again!?!
Sony must be thanking their lucky stars that BluRay won over from HD-DVD cause I can't see any real reason to own a PS3 other than to play movies (or watch MGS4) on!
Old 23 May 2008, 10:35 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

They could market it as a bluray movie with extra features such as a mini game included
Old 23 May 2008, 10:42 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I'm suire they will be skippable.

If MGS4 is anything like as good as MGS3, it will one the finest gamers of this generation - I am really looking forward to it.
Old 23 May 2008, 10:45 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

From the quote above...

The good news is that you can now skip or pause the scenes
This is looking to be a very poor game. 90% doing nothing other than watching dodgy fmv, followed by a few minutes of action. Personally when I play games I want to actually be doing something.

I never got on with MGS3 either (for much the same reason). Far to much waffling about, and not enough gameplay. Got bored with it quickly and never did finish it. MGS1 was the best of the series imo...
Old 23 May 2008, 10:50 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
This is looking to be a very poor game. 90% doing nothing other than watching dodgy fmv, followed by a few minutes of action. Personally when I play games I want to actually be doing something.

I never got on with MGS3 either (for much the same reason). Far to much waffling about, and not enough gameplay. Got bored with it quickly and never did finish it. MGS1 was the best of the series imo...

Well if you didn't get on with MGS2 or 3 , then you never likely to buy MGS4 were you? Cut scenes or not.

I think it will be a fnatastic send of for snake. Kojima-San is an absolute perfectionist, and there is sroom for his style of game - they are pretty unique in terms of production values and cutscenes and dialogue etc. And despite this, some of the gameplay is absolutely genre defining. You pays your money, you takes your choice.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:00 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Well if you didn't get on with MGS2 or 3 , then you never likely to buy MGS4 were you? Cut scenes or not.
Actually I was as I'm pretty desperate to find a decent game to play on my PS3 to stop it gathering dust. Was hoping this would be an improvement on the previous games, but sadly it looks like it's even worse.

I think it will be a fnatastic send of for snake. Kojima-San is an absolute perfectionist, and there is sroom for his style of game - they are pretty unique in terms of production values and cutscenes and dialogue etc.
If I wanted to watch a movie, that's what I'd do. Call me old fashioned, but when playing a game, I expect to actually be doing something. You can skip the dialogue, but then the game / story isn't going to make much sense.

And despite this, some of the gameplay is absolutely genre defining. You pays your money, you takes your choice.
Indeed. Although I have yet to see anything in the gameplay that looks even vaguely genre defining. It's all been done before (and been done better - especially where MGS3 was concerned)...

Imo of course
Old 23 May 2008, 11:01 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

PMSL

These overhyped games need to take a leaf out of the COD4 book of gameplay. So that's two PS3 titles in as many days that have joined the killer app list that the overpriced black brick has been waiting for.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:08 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Just read that it needs 4.6Gig of install

That should put a smile on the face of the 40 gig owners LOL.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:16 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5-Black
Just read that it needs 4.6Gig of install

That should put a smile on the face of the 40 gig owners LOL.
This seems to be standard practice these days, play 8 games and it's time to delete stuff

I'm asumming the installs are because the bluray cannot stream game data fast enough to play on the fly from disc.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:20 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by bob269
This seems to be standard practice these days, play 8 games and it's time to delete stuff

I'm asumming the installs are because the bluray cannot stream game data fast enough to play on the fly from disc.

Most people I know who have a PS3 have put a larger harddrives in - simple enough to do as 40gb will soon fill up
Old 23 May 2008, 11:23 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5-Black

These overhyped games need to take a leaf out of the COD4 book of gameplay. .
Why? We have CoD4 for that, don't we?
Old 23 May 2008, 11:29 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I think you're missing the point Pete. COD4 is a good example of how good gameplay can be implemented within a game.

I suppose if you look at MGS4 as a piece of art rather than a game, then it might work. Doesn't interest me though.

As for the hard drive thing, that's just silly. I remember the Sony fanboys slating the 360 for the small HD, and now they've gone and done the same thing. I'd guess MGS4 installs the whole "game" portion to the hard drive, and streams the fmv off the blu-ray disc. I suspect if you eliminated the endless hours of tedious video, you'd get the game to fit on a normal old dvd
Old 23 May 2008, 11:33 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
Most people I know who have a PS3 have put a larger harddrives in - simple enough to do as 40gb will soon fill up
That's why they should do a 100gig + as standard so you don't buy a gimped console then have to change it right from day 1 ......

The 360 went through this and I still can't believe that Sony are going down the same road and messing the storage up.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:33 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I think you're missing the point Pete. COD4 is a good example of how good gameplay can be implemented within a game.

I suppose if you look at MGS4 as a piece of art rather than a game, then it might work. Doesn't interest me though.

As for the hard drive thing, that's just silly. I remember the Sony fanboys slating the 360 for the small HD, and now they've gone and done the same thing. I'd guess MGS4 installs the whole "game" portion to the hard drive, and streams the fmv off the blu-ray disc. I suspect if you eliminated the endless hours of tedious video, you'd get the game to fit on a normal old dvd
What?

Cod4 is a great example of an FPS - MGS has never been an FPS in the traditional sense.

You seem to be slating the MGS series for not being action orientated anough and have ing too long a cut scenes. But thats what MGS is, its what it always has been. It;s like slating tetris for being about dropping blocks on top of each other - It makes no sense.

MGS is what it is - You either like it or you don't, but slating it for not being something it has never made any pretentions of being is a bit silly IMO.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:41 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Cod4 is a great example of an FPS - MGS has never been an FPS in the traditional sense.
Missing the point completely again

There are many games around which have superb gameplay, immersive storylines etc, which don't have to rely on hours up hours of tedious fmv footage to try and tell the story, totally disconnecting the player from the gaming experience and destroying any sense of being "in the story". Half life two had a great story, and hardly had any cut scenes at all. Instead it used interactive story telling which actually involved the player.

You seem to be slating the MGS series for not being action orientated anough and have ing too long a cut scenes.
I haven't slated the series at all. You are inventing that. I enjoyed the 1st game greatly, the second game was good as well. I am even enjoying the psp version. The 3rd had far too much video and not enough gameplay, and it seems the 4th is taking this to a whole new level.

But thats what MGS is, its what it always has been.
The first two weren't, and neither is the psp version.

If you like playing games where you do absolutely nothing for hours upon end then fair enough. Each to their own. For me though, that is not a demonstration of good gameplay
Old 23 May 2008, 12:12 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Missing the point completely again

There are many games around which have superb gameplay, immersive storylines etc, which don't have to rely on hours up hours of tedious fmv footage to try and tell the story, totally disconnecting the player from the gaming experience and destroying any sense of being "in the story". Half life two had a great story, and hardly had any cut scenes at all. Instead it used interactive story telling which actually involved the player.
MGS tells the story in a different way to HL2 - Doesn't make it any less involving. It doesnt disconnect the player - because it is the story tha tinvolves the player - Its like saying a RPG doesnt involve the player, because it is primary about the story - Take Planescape Torment, one of the greatest games ever written, in terms of action it was non existant, with absolutely reams of text to read, but it was utterly brilliant. The fact that this is presenting it in cut scenes rather than text is irrelevant.

Lots of people don't find it tedious. hence the simply immense scores for MGS3.
I haven't slated the series at all. You are inventing that. I enjoyed the 1st game greatly, the second game was good as well. I am even enjoying the psp version. The 3rd had far too much video and not enough gameplay, and it seems the 4th is taking this to a whole new level.

If you like playing games where you do absolutely nothing for hours upon end then fair enough. Each to their own. For me though, that is not a demonstration of good gameplay
MGS2 had plenty of cut scenes, MG3 had a few more- but not much. MGS4 sounds like it will have lots.

But then its MGS, what did you expect? I think you just dont "get" MGS, which is fine, lots of people don't.

Sounds to me like you are using it just as another excuse to beat the PS3 round the head.
Old 23 May 2008, 12:40 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

MGS tells the story in a different way to HL2 - Doesn't make it any less involving.
Yes it does. You aren't doing anything, hence you are not involved. You are just a spectator.

Sounds to me like you are using it just as another excuse to beat the PS3 round the head.
Sigh - why would I do that . I just want some decent games for the thing and am getting very frustrated at all these "killer" titles being endlessly delayed or turning out like turkeys. Fed up with having wasted my money on a useless black brick at the moment. In fact I'm seriously thinking of selling it - only the blu-ray player has stopped me from getting rid of it so far...

Sounds to me like you are being completely blinkered to thinking the PS3 is the best thing out there, and MGS4 will be the best game ever - despite the fact that there's actually not much game there. More like hours of dodgy Japanese movie with one or two interactive bits in between.

If you like that sort of thing then fair enough. Each to their own, and it would be a boring place if we all liked the same things

Last edited by Iain Young; 23 May 2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 23 May 2008, 02:25 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

You two need to get a room and release this pent up tension

All those cut scenes sound pretty tedious to me. I get bored with the ones in GTA4!!
Old 23 May 2008, 02:33 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Same here. I skipped most of them in GTA4 and they were only about a minute long each
Old 23 May 2008, 04:37 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

I've always considered the MGS narrative(s) to be over-indulgent tosh. I'll buy the game, but I'll be pressing the (skip) button for sure.

Snake ?
SNAKE ?!
SNAAAAAKKKE ?!?!?!?!?
Old 23 May 2008, 05:43 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

Badger !
Old 23 May 2008, 06:07 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I never liked MGS are the sequels better?

If you want to stop your PS3 gathering dust I recommend buying Condemned 2.
Old 23 May 2008, 08:14 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Mushroom

Tried Comdemned 2 briefly and didn't think much of it. Enjoyed the original though...
Old 27 May 2008, 12:26 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Personally I'm looking forward to MGS4, cutscene's or not, I quite like the twist on gameplay - it's a stealth based game, not a shoot 'em up. Cutscene's can get dull though, but MGS3 had a spell of not doing much for 90 mins which was anything but boring - "The End" anyone? and no, I'm not talking about the end of the game...

I tried the Haze demo over the weekend and quite enjoyed it - felt pretty similar to Halo 3's opening level but that didn't get many complaints. It's the pish-poor controller that's stopping me using my PS3 more, not the software catalogue.

I'm another who's found GTA4 pretty dull, I've finished the main story but I've just no interest in going around collecting 200 pigeons - whereas doing 4 times as many Orbs in Crackdown or Assasin's Creed's flag's didn't bother me...each to their own though and I'm sure bob will post a piccie of his key when he gets it.
Old 27 May 2008, 12:39 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

You didn't mind Assassins Creed Flags?!!? BeJebus! At least Crackdown has the helpful 'you're near an orb' sound!
Old 27 May 2008, 12:53 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
I'm another who's found GTA4 pretty dull, I've finished the main story but I've just no interest in going around collecting 200 pigeons - whereas doing 4 times as many Orbs in Crackdown or Assasin's Creed's flag's didn't bother me...each to their own though and I'm sure bob will post a piccie of his key when he gets it.
You mean this one

Key To The City
You completed GTA IV to 100%.

Acquired 12/5/2008

I didnt mind collecting the crackdown orbs as they actually benefited your abilities, as for assasin's flags they were pretty much in your face as you did your missions.

The pigeon's on the other hand don't serve any purpose, they are hard to find, some so hard that you wouldnt find them without the map, which they actually give you in game which makes it totally pointless and a major pita.

Quick Reply: MGS4 - how long are those cut scenes!!!!