Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Open Directory Master and Replica bound to AD

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2008, 02:20 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Directory Master and Replica bound to AD

Another Mac question for you Maccies

Over the summer I plan to turn our Mac server based on our new campus into an open directory master. I have followed the guide on Bombich here and it works great in a test lab.

Bombich.com: Leveraging Active Directory on Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server

I use the guide from page 23 onwards as we don't alter out AD schema to accomodate Macs, instead we bind the Mac server to pull AD group information from our domain.

On our old campus we have a Mac server which I plan to turn into an Open Directory replica, the buildings are 14 miles apart but there is a 1 Gigabit link between the two. Only one Mac lab exists on the old campus hence making it the replica for failover purposes.

The students log in via Active directory user accounts and there are around 200 Macs that this will manage.

My questions are on the client side do i Bind the Macs to both Open Directory servers or just the master and that will tell it where the replica is. I've set this up on a test domain and bound both, however I found a guide on the net which says only bind to the master (cant find the link now though ). Is it best to replicate when a change is made, or at a set time interval? I found it best to do an unauthenticated bind and add the Mac addresses in later in the workgroup manager computer list. Also does the replica need to be bound to AD and added to the Kerberos realm as the guide?

Most settings are computer group controlled (dock, printers, system prefs, disallowed apps) with a few settings tied to active directory security group (students get particular desktop background etc)

and anything else I need to look out for with this particular setup????

Last edited by mike1210; 12 May 2008 at 02:50 PM.