Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS3 overtakes 360

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2008, 09:12 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3 overtakes 360

BBC NEWS | Technology | Europe PS3 sales 'overtake 360'

Been at least a week or 2 since the last ps3 v 360 debate so I thought I'd stir up trouble...

although if the ps3 is now ahead in europe with 5 million sales, I thought the 360 had sold more than that... figures come from Sony though so please read with the optional pinch of salt...
Old 07 May 2008, 09:19 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Overall, the numbers are something 17.7 vs 11.7 million in favour of 360.

However, when you look at the trends, momentum is definitely with PS3
Old 07 May 2008, 09:29 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

It's the most cost effective Blu-Ray solution, so people are going to start buying more now.
Old 07 May 2008, 09:32 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Sales are one thing but isn't the attachment rate the big thing for Sony and MS? (obviously console sales help in total game sales)
Old 07 May 2008, 09:42 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Sales are one thing but isn't the attachment rate the big thing for Sony and MS? (obviously console sales help in total game sales)
Correct, thats where the money is and MS have and attachment of around 7 games per console to Sonys 3 last i read, as stated PS3 is selling as a bluray player not necessarily as a games console.

I suspect GTA helped in boosting PS3 sales, Sony are still operating at a loss in it's console divison whereas MS have turned a profit.

Anyways its ineviteable Sony will outsell in the long run, but i'll be looking forward to my next nextgen xbox console in a few years
Old 07 May 2008, 09:56 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

360's attachment rate is about 7 IIRC and PS3's about 3.5 (both ahead of Nintendo)

Be interesting to see what the attachment rate would be if blu-ray's were included...
Old 07 May 2008, 09:58 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Sony are still operating at a loss in it's console divison whereas MS have D
That's not quite the whole picture though is it.

As a project "Xbox" is still in the red by a mammoth amount. It's all well and actually starting to make money, but thier starting point is in the red by £3billion or so.

Project "Playstation" on the other hand is in the black by quite a bit.

You can get a nextgen Xbox360 right now, its called a PS3

Trending Topics

Old 07 May 2008, 10:01 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
360's attachment rate is about 7 IIRC and PS3's about 3.5 (both ahead of Nintendo)

Be interesting to see what the attachment rate would be if blu-ray's were included...
Are they counting prologue as 0.5 of a game
Old 07 May 2008, 10:07 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Are you sure, maybe i'm misreading, but doesnt Sony's game divsion include ps2/ps3/psp etc.

Sony's videogame division saw its operating loss shrink by about 100 billion yen in the year ended March 2008, helping boost overall profitability, the Nikkei said.
The game unit posted an operating loss of 232 billion yen in the year ended March 2007 due to hefty start-up costs for its PlayStation 3 game console.

Sony 07/08 profit to quintuple but miss target: report | Reuters
Old 07 May 2008, 10:08 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Interesting. I'd read that the PS3 was also in the red by a rather large amount as well (was relying on PS2 and PSP sales to keep afloat). Have you got any links for this information?

You can get a nextgen Xbox360 right now, its called a PS3
Yawn. Got both, and I've yet to see anything on the PS3 that looks or plays better than the stuff on the 360. They're about equal in my book, (except I hardly ever use the PS3 - might get the new metal gear game, but not sure if I fancy sitting through hours of cut scenes).

I'd expect a next gen console to be a lot more powerful than the current crop, especially now that quad core processors, blu-ray drives, gfx chips etc are all dropping in price as they become more mainstream...
Old 07 May 2008, 10:10 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Also....
Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division posted a healthy quarterly rise on Thursday thanks to strong Xbox 360 console sales, as the games business turned a profit for the third straight quarter.

Revenues for ED&D were $1.58 billion for the quarter ended March 31, versus sales of $935 million for the same quarter a year prior, representing a 68 percent rise.
Operating income for the division, which includes Xbox, PC games and the Zune media player, was $89 million, up from an operating loss of $324 million for the comparable quarter.

As a whole, Microsoft posted sales of $14.45 billion with operating income of $4.41 billion, compared to $14.4 billion and $6.6 billion a year ago, respectively.
Xbox Division Scores Profit : Next Generation - Interactive Entertainment Today, Video Game and Industry News - Home of Edge Online
Old 07 May 2008, 10:39 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

do those figure's include the $2 billion hit it took for the RROD returns fiasco?
Old 07 May 2008, 10:45 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Are you sure, maybe i'm misreading, but doesnt Sony's game divsion include ps2/ps3/psp etc.
It does indeed. PSP is basically a license to print money. PS2 having sold something like 130million units worldwide has made billions, on top of the 100 million or so PS1s.

Your missing the point, Bob. As an entire profject - Playstation is immensely profitable. As a Project Xbox is not. Xbox cost them lots of money, and so has 360. The fact they are now turning a profit does not mean they have filled the big hole. It means they tunred an opertaing profit for that quarter.

Project Xbox is significantly in the red, Playstation is not.

Not that it matter a jot - It's not like either is going anywhere.
Old 07 May 2008, 10:46 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
do those figure's include the $2 billion hit it took for the RROD returns fiasco?
I would imagine so, they are operating profits/losses, however wasnt that money set aside to cover the costs of failures as opposed to what it actually cost, meaning there would still be money in the pot so to speak depending on number of failures.
Old 08 May 2008, 09:35 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

There is an article in the news today about how Sony think that PS3 will keep them in the lead, and they mention the next gen console.

Intersestingly, they also mention an online only console, but admit that broadband in various parts of the world would preclude delivering 50GB games, and that they see Blu Ray as the only viable option in the near future.

Surely MS realise that their dream of online gaming is going to be determined by this, and not the other way round?

Geezer
Old 08 May 2008, 07:56 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

They bought it for blu ray, not because the PS3 is any good!
Old 08 May 2008, 10:41 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
It's the most cost effective Blu-Ray solution, so people are going to start buying more now.
Not if you read 'What HIFI?' mag or whatever it's called, they did a test on 7/8 of the current crop of Blu-ray players, including the PS3. It didn't rank that well, near bottom i think, even in price due to the fact the prices have dropped by so much, they made comments that it's now lost it's edge as a stand alone player due to the other options now available. So those who want Blu-ray can now buy a player that can do all the tricks, the new Panasonic one came out top(£350), followed by the Samsung(£300), there were cheaper options but lacking a few features etc.

It's only bonus over the others is the obvious fact you can play games.

Regarding the costs didn't Bill Gates sanction an outrageous amount of money for marketing, to get the brand out there, rather than it die on it's **** like 3DO and Jaguar, whose consoles were the best at the time but didn't grab the publics attention?
Old 08 May 2008, 10:59 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Picked up my PS3 tonight
Old 08 May 2008, 11:31 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Picked up mine 2 months ago, i can count the times ive used it on one hand.
Old 09 May 2008, 02:24 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

Are they counting prologue as 0.5 of a game

pmsl
Old 09 May 2008, 03:29 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Swen6
Not if you read 'What HIFI?' mag or whatever it's called, they did a test on 7/8 of the current crop of Blu-ray players, including the PS3. It didn't rank that well, near bottom i think, even in price due to the fact the prices have dropped by so much, they made comments that it's now lost it's edge as a stand alone player due to the other options now available. So those who want Blu-ray can now buy a player that can do all the tricks, the new Panasonic one came out top(£350), followed by the Samsung(£300), there were cheaper options but lacking a few features etc.
Of course that's completely missing the point that the PS3 is the only one that can be upgraded via firmware as the blu-ray format itself is improved. So, it won't become obsolete like the others will. Also, I always take what hifi reviews with a pinch of salt. Seen them give good reviews to things that were blatently not very good in the past (and heard rumours of them giving good reviews to companies who give them good freebies etc).

The only way to tell properly is to look yourself

It's only bonus over the others is the obvious fact you can play games.
...and use it as a media center for streaming video (iplayer officially coming soon), music, photos etc. In fact, playing games is the one thing I hardly ever use the machine for!!!

Regarding the costs didn't Bill Gates sanction an outrageous amount of money for marketing, to get the brand out there, rather than it die on it's **** like 3DO and Jaguar, whose consoles were the best at the time but didn't grab the publics attention?
Yep, and the company had stated even before the release of the 1st xbox that they expected it to take 3 generations of machine before they stood a chance of overhauling Sony. They've got a very long term vision. Only time will tell if it pays off for them

Last edited by Iain Young; 09 May 2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09 May 2008, 03:41 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Of course that's completely missing the point that the PS3 is the only one that can be upgraded via firmware as the blu-ray format itself is improved. So, it won't become obsolete like the others will.
Not entirely true, the new Samsung is upgradeable via ethernet and usb.
Old 09 May 2008, 03:42 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Oo, I didn't know that. SOunds like they are finally catching up then. The other points still stand though
Old 09 May 2008, 03:51 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Oo, I didn't know that. SOunds like they are finally catching up then. The other points still stand though
Lol aye, i think they've finally realised they keep releasing obsolete models
Old 09 May 2008, 04:03 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Of course that's completely missing the point that the PS3 is the only one that can be upgraded via firmware as the blu-ray format itself is improved. So, it won't become obsolete like the others will. Also, I always take what hifi reviews with a pinch of salt. Seen them give good reviews to things that were blatently not very good in the past (and heard rumours of them giving good reviews to companies who give them good freebies etc).

The only way to tell properly is to look yourself

...and use it as a media center for streaming video (iplayer officially coming soon), music, photos etc. In fact, playing games is the one thing I hardly ever use the machine for!!!

Yep, and the company had stated even before the release of the 1st xbox that they expected it to take 3 generations of machine before they stood a chance of overhauling Sony. They've got a very long term vision. Only time will tell if it pays off for them
Hang on, Iain Young defending PS3??????? Someone must have hijacked his account

Geezer
Old 09 May 2008, 04:21 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Why wouldn't I. I have got one after all It's a nice machine. Just a shame it sits there gathering dust most of the time. Does a decent job as a dvd/blu-ray player, but I still much prefer the 360 for gaming...
Old 09 May 2008, 11:29 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Not entirely true, the new Samsung is upgradeable via ethernet and usb.
Think there were a few others aswell.

Iain, i'm with, mearly adding a different dimension, all reviews you have to take with a pinch, no one has the same taste.
Old 12 May 2008, 08:23 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

All this talk of who is in the black more than anyone else is pointless..... especially when one of the parties could be in the red twice over the amount they have or are now and still not get worried.
Old 26 May 2008, 10:13 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Just to stir things up again

Video Game News, Video Game Coverage, Video Game Updates, PC Game News, PC Game Coverage - GameDaily
Old 27 May 2008, 12:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Im a big creep so I am with Webby, why would Sony and Microsoft's respective finances matter one iota to the game player ?

Quick Reply: PS3 overtakes 360