Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Got a G3 MAC...

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2008, 03:06 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might get Tiger 10.4 on it but no way will you get Leopard on it...
Old 01 May 2008, 03:07 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I recently resurrected a G3 Lombard 333mhz powerbook that will run the latest Tiger, my B&W tower G3 also runs it.

The only stumbling block might be your 512mb, it will run it but it wont be fast.
Old 01 May 2008, 03:29 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

This G3 is it beige or a blue and white?

Often a Mac will make a weird beep when RAM is faulty or not recognised.
Not sure if the B&W G3 will take 512's, I have a feeling the max was 1gb in 4x256s

The Crucial memory tool might help work it out.

Grey screen flashing ? is trying to boot OS9 but cant find the blessed system folder.
*IF* you get it to boot and the HD looks OK, try creating two new folders in the system folder, move the finder in one and the system file in the other. Then move them back again. The system should then recognise it as a system folder and 'bless' it. The os9 icon should appear as part of the system folder.

If holding C key down doesnt work, either your CD drive is knackered or there is no bootable system on that disc.
Old 01 May 2008, 03:52 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I dont reckon it supports chips of >256mb
Old 01 May 2008, 06:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Firstly, you want to nab a copy of MacTracker, has specs for most if not all Mac models, old and new.

My 500Mhz G3 iMac with 256MB RAM will run 10.4.11 quite happily. Getting it on there would require CD media/firewire target disk mode, as it's only got a CD-ROM drive.

As for 10.5, forget it. I tried it on the aforementioned iMac. Firstly you need to mod the installer so it doesn't complain about the hardware specs, that's not too difficult to do, however, the installer will hang if the machine you're using to install it doesn't have at least 512MB RAM in it. Even if you do manage to get it installed, it won't boot, again, unless you have 512MB RAM on the thing.

Memory specs for the machine are:

4 slots, PC100 3.3v, unbuffered, 8-byte, non-parity 168-pin SDRAM. Max of 1GB RAM, so Rich's comment about it not supporting >256 chips sounds about right.
Old 01 May 2008, 06:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
So does it have 256mb onboard or is it seeing the 512 as 256? And is ram for these expensive?
Looking at MT, it doesn't have any memory soldered to the board, so it could well be seeing the 512 as 256, I think I've seen some of my older kit do this.

As for price of RAM, eBay might be the best place to source it, I would suspect it to be a bit pricey brand new as not many machines will be using it.
Old 01 May 2008, 06:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus. But if I bought some RAM for it depending on whether its expensive, would it then run it?

Mind you I don't have any of these OS's only a CD with OS 8.5 and another with 9 on it.
*cough* I'm sure we could sort you out with images of different versions of OS X *cough*

As for wether it's run it, well, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, yes, without a doubt it'll run those versions of the OS. I'm pretty confident it'd run 10.4 as well, which to be honest is what you'd want to run, the other versions of the OS are obsolete now, and one could claim so is 10.4 since 10.5 came out.

10.5, as mentioned, unless you want to learn how to mod installers and want to try it for a bit of a giggle then I'd not bother. I only tried it to see if I could get 10.5 installed on unsupported hardware, and for the G3, it failed, mainly due to lack of RAM and I didn't have any additional RAM to hand to see if it would boot with 512MB in it. My guess is if it did boot, it probably would not be that quick, but depending on what you want to do with it, that might not be a problem.
Old 01 May 2008, 06:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I was impressed it has used the 27gb disk as I read it only supports 8gb disk. Think that info must obviously be wrong!
Looking at the specs, seems it was supplied with either a 6, 9 or 12GB drive. Wow, massive My iMac has an 80GB drive in it, so I would suspect your machine could cope with that too.

Specs also indicate it might have a CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or even DVD-RAM drive, so install from DVD media may be possible.

System Profiler is your friend here as it'll tell you what it's actually got inside, hopefully a DVD-ROM, that'd be nice.
Old 01 May 2008, 09:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

10.4 came on DVD, you had to special order the CD version, and I only have the DVD version, and I don't think you can split it across disks nor remove enough content to get it onto a CD.

As for headless, have a read of this. Seems like an adapter is needed to spoof the video card, and unless they have that laying around, you might not be able to go headless.

Remote access is possible, headless or not. Use something like OSXvnc, which is a VNC client for OS X. I use it a fair bit on my older machines here, works rather well.
Old 02 May 2008, 09:38 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

You can VNC to Macs although I can't remember if you could with 10.4.x
I can certainly control my G5 (10.5) with my PC laptop.
You could use Timbuktu although I used to use that in a ISP environment and did have problems with G4s being headless and the video not starting properly.
Old 02 May 2008, 01:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

OSXvnc will certainly work on 10.4. I have a feeling that the Remote Desktop Client in 10.4 has an option to allow VNC clients to connect as well. 10.5 has it's own ScreenSharing facility, so you can just enable that in System Preferences.
Old 06 May 2008, 05:18 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

most towers allowed 2 HDDs to be put in I thought, check you dont have an empty slot at the front where a ZIP drive might go.....
Old 06 May 2008, 06:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

B&W G3's will be using standard IDE, so a normal IDE cable with 2 connectors will work for you. From what I recall the default cable with my G4 Towers only had one connector, so it was from motherboard to drive, but I replaced it with one that came with the additional hard drive I purchased and it worked without issue.
Old 13 May 2008, 09:54 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Apple started shipping DVDs with system specific OS again.
I have a G5 and that OS wont install on my G4, you could probably hack it, you might even be able to 'target disk mode' to it using the G5 if the G3 has firewire, I'm not sure it will though.

Re the other disc, have you checked the jumper settings, it might be conflicting and thinking thre are two masters or something like that....
Old 13 May 2008, 11:05 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough, I am having exactly the same problem with a G3 laptop, PRAM reset hasn't fixed it though.... Booting in OS8.1 off a CD works but nothing else...

Quick Reply: Got a G3 MAC...